Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cold Start Problem LJ70 2.4TD

Yorkshire Devil

I'm having a problem starting my LJ70 engine first thing in a morning(with 2.4TD 2L-T engine)

It just seems to turn over for ages & ages since the weather went cold. I can hear the glow plug relay
sound when warmed and suspect the glow plugs might need changing but the car bump starts ok, and will start on the key throught the day, but the manual prime pump doesnt pump rock hard anymore, its looking more like a fuel air problem.

Has anyone had these symptons before, what was the cause? I intend to look over all the pipe work tomorrow but really dont know what I'm looking for or where, any pointers?

Can the pick up fuel diesel pipe in the tank cause this kind of problem?

I'm having a problem starting my LJ70 engine first thing in a morning(with 2.4TD 2L-T engine)

It just seems to turn over for ages & ages since the weather went cold. I can hear the glow plug relay
sound when warmed and suspect the glow plugs might need changing but the car bump starts ok, and will start on the key throught the day
, but the manual prime pump doesnt pump rock hard anymore, its looking more like a fuel air problem.

Has anyone had these symptons before, what was the cause? I intend to look over all the pipe work tomorrow but really dont know what I'm looking for or where, any pointers?

Can the pick up fuel diesel pipe in the tank cause this kind of problem?

That sounds like glow plugs to me. Id change them, there not massively expensive and theres a good chance that will fix the problem. :icon-wink:

Regarding fuel lines you want to check for leaks which could be allowing air in. So the metal lines coming off the tank, and the ones running along the chassis.

But like youve said once the engines warm there isnt a problem, so i dont think its fuel lines. :think:

Last edited:
Prior to the next morning start, try pouring a kettle full of boiling water over the inlet manifold. The effect is to warm the air going into the engine.

Let us know if this reduces start time.

Roger

I had the same problem on mine. Changed the glow plugs, had a leak in the pipework off the tank (replaced these with new Mr T pipes), and still the same....Turns out it was a faulty started not cranking the pump enough.......Might be a good idea to check everything anyway (amazing how much crap had collected on top of the tank:wtf:....)...but it might (MIGHT) be down to a dodgy starter like mine?

Do you have the twin battery set-up? If so, the starter should sound healthy and strong, i.e. it will turn the engine over quickly and without sounding as if it is having problems.

Sometimes, with an old engine that is past it's best, the piston rings cannot hold the compression long enough to maintain the high pressures necessary to start the ignition process. If the starter motor is lethargic, these two points can result in poor starting. A thicker grade oil, such as 20/50, which some people use to hopefully boost oil pressure, can also cause problems as it will create excessive drag until it has warmed up.

Roger

The problem I had was the wiring from the relay to the buzzbar had melted, so no power to the plugs.

Kettle suggestion will tell you straight away if its preheating issue.

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I didnt bother with the kettle, I just fitted a set of glow plugs instead. We will see tomorrow if the car starts from cold.

Started first time this morning on the turn of the key guess the plugs were shot to sh!t. The new plugs seems to make all the difference

You can often find that there is little or no difference when loosing 1 out of 4 glow plugs ,
Even 2 out of 4 doesn't seem to make a much difference on many engines.

Gra.

Result ! well done.

So whats next on the list?

Gra.

Does it blow instantly you switch them on?

Does it blow on just one side?

Does it blow after a long period of being on?

Roger

Indicator Problem

Does it blow instantly you switch them on?

Does it blow on just one side?

Does it blow after a long period of being on?

Roger

When j put a new fuse in all works ok when stationary outside house. Works on both sides and never blows. When I take for a test drive and apply indicators blows after a few seconds. It's the dedicated indicator fuse that blows 7.5A.
I did have wet rear lights after going to Briercliffe but dried all connections out with hair dryer etc.
One thing to note is that there is a trailer socket wired into the rear lights and the triangle sign below the windscreen wiper used to illuminate when turning left and right but it illuminates left only???? Very odd

A fuse that blows like that is an indication of a short circuit. As it only does it whilst on the move, I would look for a cable that is flapping about. Turn on indicator and see if moving the trailer socket cable blows fuse. I assume the triangle sign you refer to is the emergency flasher switch.

Roger

Its not the switch its the 1" square triangle on the dash panel toward the right of the steering wheel

Well I have had a quick look under the back bumper. As you can see from the following pics there is a clump of connectors & associated wiring where the tow bar electrics are presumably wired in. What is the significance of the lone blue wire what should it be connected to?

E47329D3-88DC-4D75-B215-E9CB7D4AAF7E-904-0000017384CD4D82.jpg

A37290DD-6BCD-4503-9663-DAB943F73A2F-904-000001737BF209C7.jpg

CFE44036-E85C-4240-973D-B630BC698A2D-904-0000017374DB8AC9.jpg

86E3855B-C0A1-4EBC-B985-DDE5E8269F9C-904-000001736DAD56D5.jpg

What a mess! The blue is for fog lights but that is based on the correct wires being used. What is a big no-no is the use of Scotck-Locks for cable to cable connection. They are a crap dea for use inside a car. For outside use they are a nightmare. They have to go. I suggest you remove each one, clean the crap from around each joint and then cover with a suitable electrical tape. All connections for trailers should be done internally. When you have disconnected the trailer wiring, try your indicators again.

Roger

Indicator Problem

The wiring thing seems a little beyond me, I've gone through so many 7.5A fuses I'm tearing my hair out. It went from blowing after 2 minutes into the journey to staright away now since I took the insulation tape off the wiring clump. Think the problem definetly lies with the sh!tty connectors.

Last edited:
Back