Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cooling system

hammo

Hi, I have just registered with the user group. Recently I have been having to top up the coolant in the radiator in my 100 series cruiser. Sometimes up to 1.5 to 2 litres after a full days driving on the highway. When driving around locally probably 1 litre or so each week.I've had the cooling system pressure tested and it was fine. I am planning to go outback Qld in September and obviously don't want any problems with the cooling system. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find out whats happening? It has about 260,000km on the odometer.

Welcome to the forum, Hammo.
I suggest creating a signature with the details of your cruiser, so that we can speak the same language.
For the coolant, I suppose you have checked the water pump, radiator and rubber hoses? Does the expansion tank (and hose) work OK? Are there any indication that it disappears in the engine? Does it run well - Oil ok?
The more detail you put in, the easier it is for the experts to assist you.

Sorry, been away for the Anzac Day long weekend in Oz. I forgot to mention I have the 4.2L petrol engine. No visible leaks of coolant from the cooling system that I or a mechanic can see. As mentioned, a pressure test of the system was fine. Also no evidence of water in the engine oil. So I'm assuming maybe a head gasket leak where coolant is disappearing out the exhaust perhaps?

Signature to follow - once I figure out how to so it..........

Water pump leak doesn't necessarily show up on pressure test done without the engine running.

For sig.line, click "settings" at the top right corner, and then "edit signature" at the left margin.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back