Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Correct Engine Oil

Great Outdoors

Country Flag
ireland
Hi
What is best engine oil for a 1998 reg KZJ 95 ? Synthetic or semi synthetic. How many litres does it take, and should I change oil every 5K miles or 10K miles ? (no off road driving)

Thanks.

I'm no expert on that engine GO, but I would suggest to avoid fully synthetics on higher mileage engines.

No doubt, someone will come to your rescue soon, with more definitive information... :icon-biggrin:

I use 10w40 semi synthetic in mine - have done every 7-8 thousand miles for the last 150k. Its what toyota spec for the 1KD - which isn't that different really

Hi

10w40 Semi is the way to go.

Milners and Roughtrax sell it, I think Roughtrax is the branded Toyota stuff as well.

6 litres.

I def notice a difference after an oil change, so I aim for every 5000miles.

Oil costs £21, filter about £5, so cheap enough to make it more frequently.

I have changed the diesel and air filters annually, but if its all road use on UK fuel I wouldnt bother with either, just spin the air filter round.

Diff oils are another simple job (rear is really easy, but front does require some contortion and a couple of foot of pipe so you can refill it from above.

Gearbox oil easy to take out (and well worth doing) bit slow to refill though as it has to go down the dipstick tube. (asssuming its auto). This is important to do as it lets you check that the 'box isnt contaminated with coolant from the rad.

Rad top up - dont add water or blue collant, use Toyota red, again Milners or Roughtrax.

More info than you wanted......

Cheers

Pete

The oil from Roughtrax is branded Toyota :thumbup:, just bought some from them

Richie

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Bob from Carlow. I thought Toyota spec for the 1KD engine 5W30. Thats what it says in the owners handbook I have. Mines a 2001 D4D. Tyrone here.!!

Might be 5w30 for the d4d but for the earlier 1kzte im nearly certain its 10w40.

Hi cavanmick Nice truck you got.!! Do you know anything about changing front wheel studs.?? Egit tyre fitter sheared of 2 on my right front on friday.!! Sorry to hi-jack thread but i dont know whether to change all front 12 and buy Toyota or get them from a motor factors.!!

Hi V8, I have no owners handbook, but when I bought the truck in a main dealers, they recommended 10/40. It seems to like it.. 150,000 miles I've had it. That said, some engines are very sensitive to oil type.. I don't think these are overly so.

Hi Bob. yeah thats true.bullit proof engines in these trucks.! I have mine a year and never drive it because im always driving Big Bad V8 Scania's. I totaly rebuilt mine after buying it from UK and have only 110,000 miles on it and its a late 01 GX 8 seater owned by a Toyota garage in South UK. Its my first Landcruiser cos I was into Rangerovers for a long time. Still have 2 Rangerovers but never drive them.! Thanks Bob.!!

Just change the ones that are broken buddy, they break regular enough, not changed any on mine so far but I reckon they can be got out from behind if you take the brake disc off etc.

Yeah. thanks cavanmick. got them sorted handy enough.Bought 3 from Toyota this morning for 11 pound, so have 1 spare.! Also zinc painted and black painted drivers and passengers side dust shields behind the discs cos I had calipers off.! tomorrow I will Wax-Oil them both so no chance of rusting away.! Preventitive Maintenance and all that.!! Cheers.

My kzj95 3.0td currently has castrol 5W30 fully synth, but next will be castrol magnatec diesel 10W40 semi synth

Back