Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Correct Idle Speed for 2002 4.7 Petrol Amazon

Lionheart

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi guys

Does anyone know the correct idle speed for a early 2002 4.7 petrol Amazon (automatic)?

Would be really, really helpful!!

Thanks guys!

My 2004 100-series VX (Japanese version) 4.7 petrol idles at 600 when in Drive and brake on. A little higher in Park. I never worked that one out. Disconnecting the battery for a while then reconnecting has solved any idling issues for me in the past, allowing the engine to "reset" itself. But I am no expert....

Do you experience a bit of a lumpy idling when in D or R but stationary at 600rpm?

Seems to be a quirk of the 4.7, but wondering if the facelift version after 2002 solved it?

Not 100% smooth. A bit bubbly around the edges. Seems the norm on the 4.7 2002 and back, but wondered if they solved it for the facelift.

Assume they did if you've never noticed it :o)

Mine has a lumpy idle. Buy the idle can range from 400 to 800 rpm. Very strange. And again rises and falls dependent if in n or d. Is it a common quirk. I am led to believe so

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a lumpy idle on the 4Runner until the other day... I took the hose off between the air box and throttle body, and cleaned the throttle body with a load of carby cleaner. Sprayed it until it ran clear when running back out, and now runs fine! Had to dial the idle speed back down, because I'd opened the idle valve up to get the idle up from 500rpm to the 750rpm that I wanted it to be when it was all dirty.

Now how easy that is to do on a 100 series, I'm not sure, but there'll be something similar. Just watch out if it's an ETM as the sensors are a bit more delicate than in an agricultural old 4Runner!

Hope that helps,

Ed

Mine always seems lumpy on tickover as well, after searching forums it just seems the norm!

Last edited:
Back