Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

crank shaft keyway

uki bretto

Country Flag
australia
hi every one , i have a 93 glx hdt 4.2 , the motor runs but the pullies have stopped turning it has been suggested ive broke the end of the crank shaft or I've sheered off the keyway.
i have heard it can be fixed without pulling the engine out and that its a common problem on older motors . id love some feedback on my options if anyone has got ideas thanks.

1712586221844.jpeg

Looking at that its directly under the pulley which is of course outside the block .

Doesnt the bottom pully have rubber isolation harmonic thingy? In which vase it may be broken so the inner is turning , but not the outer. Have you checked if the whole lot has stopped turning, or just the outer.

If the crank shaft nut is turning the crank shaft will not be broken.

Doesnt the bottom pully have rubber isolation harmonic thingy? In which vase it may be broken so the inner is turning , but not the outer. Have you checked if the whole lot has stopped turning, or just the outer.
Harmonic balancer , I've heard of that needing replaced but never heard of a woodruff key breaking .

I never had a close look at one but the harmonic balancer sandwiches rubber between steel to remove vibration I believe and i suppose if the bond lets go then the outer pully/belt turner will simply spin/remain still like its on a rubber bearing .

Should stink of burning rubber after minute or so of the engine running I imagine .

Either way it has to come off and you can do that without removing the engine .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hi every one , i have a 93 glx hdt 4.2 , the motor runs but the pullies have stopped turning it has been suggested ive broke the end of the crank shaft or I've sheered off the keyway.
i have heard it can be fixed without pulling the engine out and that its a common problem on older motors . id love some feedback on my options if anyone has got ideas thanks.
You need to do a bit more investigating - as everyone else has stated, it could be the vibration damper has separated - which would make some noise when running, plus you would be able to see a lot of movement forwards and backwards with the engine off, belts removed and a pry bar to gently ease in and move it axially.
My concern would be that even if it has let go, there would be enough friction there to at least turn the belts etc.... :-/

Its very unlikely that the key has sheared as there isn't that much heavy load on the pulley - fan, alternator and possibly air-con compressor...

If the end of the crank has sheared - then its a whole different world of pain. Very rare but you need to get in there and start checking.

Harmonic balancer , I've heard of that needing replaced but never heard of a woodruff key breaking .

I never had a close look at one but the harmonic balancer sandwiches rubber between steel to remove vibration I believe and i suppose if the bond lets go then the outer pully/belt turner will simply spin/remain still like its on a rubber bearing .

Should stink of burning rubber after minute or so of the engine running I imagine .

Either way it has to come off and you can do that without removing the engine .
And I would imagine the whole thing would fall apart. But then there is no reason for the woodruff key to break really, unless the nut came lose, but you’dd probably know about that fairly quickly.

Back