Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Crosland Air Filters

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
As my nearest Toyota dealer is a 3 hour round trip from my home I used a local garage which has been great to do my annual 'big' service. As I say this garage have been excellent in the work they have done for me and even provide a Ford Ranger as a courtesy vehicle. However, after the service I noticed that the replacement air filter is a cheap one by Crosland which is not the Crosland of old. These are now made in India. The other filters are ok being made by Mann (Oil) and Bosch (Fuel). The thing is I now want to change the air filter for either a genuine Toyota part or a decent aftermarket item. Any thoughts anyone?

It filters air which is very important in the arid dusty desert of the uk , erm no wait :lol: damp and dreary :think: does Toyota do smog filters ?

Thanks Shayne. If I read between the lines here I shouldn’t worry about having a cheap air filter fitted.

Personally I think cheap filters are a bit of a false economy. Whatever gets through that filter is straight into your engine. I only used genuine Toyota ones on the 120 or other good quality ones (usually Mann) on other vehicles....

Only ever used Toyota filters (oil, fuel, air, pollen) after that video where someone opened up an OEM and cheap oil filters to show the difference.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
.... the replacement air filter is a cheap one by Crosland which is not the Crosland of old. These are now made in India. The other filters are ok being made by Mann (Oil) and Bosch (Fuel). The thing is I now want to change the air filter for either a genuine Toyota part or a decent aftermarket item. Any thoughts anyone?
If you had your cruiser's details in the sign-line, I wouldn't have to search to find out which vehicle you are referring to...
Anyhow, found out you have a 2001 HDJ100. This probably means that you air filter is of the cyclone type, with a filter that you don't change, but clean. The original filter has a huge surface area and filters down to very small particles, can't remember the size in microns. When you do an oil change (e.g.) you blow out the filter and put it back in. If it looks dirty, or every 20 k miles, you wash it in clean water as well. If you are going to drive right away, you just shake it and put it in right away, and the airflow will dry it out in no time. If not driving, leave it out to dry, to prevent corrosion. There is no other filter that can replace it. It will last a few 100 k miles. Change it if it corrodes too much, or if the fabric starts fraying.

For the oil filter, according to all tests I've read, and after cutting open filters, there is no other filter with the same features as the original, which filters both the main flow and the by-pass flow as well as the oem. While another filter can do a good enough job, I can't see why you would want to use non-oem. The price difference isn't that big, and definitely not worth it if you want to keep the car "forever". There is normally a difference in mark-up, so that the shop will make more on selling a pattern part to you.

For the fuel filter there is less complexity, just compare the filtration, flow and the surface area. There is a problem on the 100 tho', with the low "ceiling" of the filter holder, where there are a few filters that do not have a low enough top surface to give a free flow. Like a 80-series fuel filter can give a restricted flow if you mount it on a 100. According to what I've seen, there is no other filter with the same size of the filtration area, but that doesn't necessarily matter if you change filters often enough. (Especially with clean fuel straight from the pump)

Thanks uHu. Whatever air filter was fitted originally has long since gone. I will fit the correct Toyota air filter for my vehicle and leave it at that. I’ll also look into the sign-line thing.

I would point out that the air filter does nothing to prevent oil vapour and exhaust gas being recycled through the chamber and if a bee got through your filter it would be harmlessly vapourized . If i was going to Morroco i'd pay through the nose for an air filter because you don't want her breathing sandpaper . For fuel filtering out water is about as good as it gets . And what do oil filters actually filter ? congealed old oil that might cause blockage maybe but any other muck in there had to come through your air or fuel filter first .

Playing devils advocate here because buy my service kits from roughtrax most of the time but i do have to wonder if the Siberian shepard drives 500 miles to his nearest post office to collect genuine filters every time ?

Does a Siberian shepherd actually use filters ?
If he drives one of these I’m sure he will.
198E3944-652D-4E53-88C1-0F8346700B6F.jpeg

Last edited:
I only use genuine filters and get them from either Steven Eagell Toyota via Simon Holton or from RoughTrax, both of whom will post .... worth the few £ extra for peace of mind (I hope)

I only use genuine filters and get them from either Steven Eagell Toyota via Simon Holton or from RoughTrax, both of whom will post .... worth the few £ extra for peace of mind (I hope)
I did contact Roughtrax but was told they don’t supply filters individually but only as a kit including oil and fuel filters. I just ordered the kit as I will use oil and fuel filters sooner or later.

Back