Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dashboard Controls

Bruce Bayliss

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi guys - new poster here. I have a 1977 NZ spec FJ40 in what can only be described as in total original poverty pack trim. No heater, blanks across most of the dashboard layout etc. Starting off a restoration shortly. Question - I have a stuck knob on the dashboard - the one top right left of the brake light with the circle and line through it. Can someone enlighten me what that is? Also, the airflow one under the blank radio plate appears to only let air in via the cowling below the windscreen. Is this correct? IO was hoping there was at least a demister option onboard but maybe I'm too hopeful!

Attachments

• IMG_5532.jpeg
    IMG_5532.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 51
Hi guys - new poster here. I have a 1977 NZ spec FJ40 in what can only be described as in total original poverty pack trim. No heater, blanks across most of the dashboard layout etc. Starting off a restoration shortly. Question - I have a stuck knob on the dashboard - the one top right left of the brake light with the circle and line through it. Can someone enlighten me what that is? Also, the airflow one under the blank radio plate appears to only let air in via the cowling below the windscreen. Is this correct? IO was hoping there was at least a demister option onboard but maybe I'm too hopeful!
Hi Bruce & welcome,

FJ is that a petrol motor? If so could it be the carb choke, it's defo for a flap of some sort, or at least thats what the symbol suggests to me, open and close an air flow buterfly flap in some sort of tube.

I'm a 100 nerd, so I execpt one of the real 40 nerds will come along with the right answer soon.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bruce & welcome,

FJ is that a petrol motor? If so could it be the carb choke, it's defo for a flap of some sort, or at least thats what the symbol suggests to me, open and close an air flow buterfly flap in some sort of tube.

I'm a 100 nerd, so I execpt one of the real 40 nerds will come along with the right answer soon.

Good Luck
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that was the choke, but there is a choke right hand side of the steering column below then main dashboard. I was wondering if the choke in use is an after market put there for some reason and the original choke on the dash not used. But yeah, good to hear from some 40s anoraks!

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that was the choke, but there is a choke right hand side of the steering column below then main dashboard. I was wondering if the choke in use is an after market put there for some reason and the original choke on the dash not used. But yeah, good to hear from some 40s anoraks!
Can you follow the cable from under the dash?

Hi the top one is choke the bottom one is heater control cable.hope it helps

Attachments

• 20200502_113519.jpg
    20200502_113519.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200502_113504.jpg
    20200502_113504.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 46
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back