Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dead 1995 Landcruiser 4.5L

1995cruiser

Country Flag
united_states
This will be a 1995 Landcruiser 4.5L The motor in it came from a 96. I was on my way up to the trail. Right before I left I had cleaned my MAF sensor with CRC brand MAF sensor safe cleaner. At the gate I was goofing around with my scan gauge ii I was looking forward and hitting the buttons trying to clear an PO135 code for my upstream O2 sensor I had replaced that same day. I was not paying attention and accidently hit the mode button and thought I was clearing the code but to find out I forced it out of VPS mode a setting in the scan gauge. I don't know what this is. It got stuck and said connecting. I backed out and went to the clear code this time and cleared the P0135 successfully. This vehicle is highly modified. when I was a couple of blocks away it started falling on its face to the point I had to pull over and turn around to head back to the shop. Just barely getting back I noticed it had no back pressure it coasted just like I had no torque converter had to keep playing with the gas pedal to get back. I made it within 150' from my shop. It turns over but no start. I have been working on it for over 24 hrs now. I smell lots of gas. I removed the spark plugs and they were very wet with gas. I changed the spark plugs they were only 4 months old and looked pretty good. Checked cap rotor and wires. When I crank the motor the engine light is on and when it attempts to sputter the engine light blinks at the rate of it trying to start. I checked all fuses inside and engine compartment also the fusible links. I have all spare fuel relays and swapped them all out along with the igniter and the EFI relay. I tested and changed all the fuses in desperation. I know it didn't make sense to change the fuel pump relays and so on because I smell gas. I have some pretty good automotive skills In my time with this vehicle I have removed the head re-sealed the upper and lower pan gasket changed the timing set and much more. But I now realize this thing has me wondering if I know anything anymore. This thing used to have lots of problems and I have addressed them 1 at a time with good success. I'm stuck on this one. Oh and if I remember correctly one time a couple months ago I had the MAF sensor unplugged because I was changing some stuff on the intake and at startup it wouldn't start. I went back and looked and seen I forgot to plug the MAF sensor in. I plugged it in and it started right up.

I'm clueless on this but i'd be thinking maybe if i take it to someone who does ecu remapping

Update I disassembled the truck electrical all the way from ECU to engine compartment inspected all harnessing and used electro duct to make new harnesses. The vehicle has lots of sharp Sheetmetal all the way along the harnessing. I did not find any chafing. I Added 6 grounds from block to frame and body. eliminated all of the rear extra unused harnessing for the rear gate, wipers rear heated window electric gate lock etc.. When I got the truck the back was dead ended chopped for exocage. I never seen electrical practices so poor. I have been removing it as needed. Now its needed. The truck is running had some fiddling around with the tank sending unit installing the new fuel pump. The complete assembly must of been out of another truck because it was 1" to long to fit in the tank so they bent the sending unit frame so the screen was pointed at 45 deg angle not sitting on the bottom. I removed the skid pan and the tank is not crushed in so I shortened the assembly and refit a new pump to it. So from living in the book for the last 4 days I think this thing is supposed to have a charcoal canister. If so its gone. The truck runs as it should except that cutting out in really hard corners When I say really hard I mean it. I have spent a lot of time correctly setting up the suspension as far as brake lines vents for the long travel and really the only wiring is for the stock lockers. The abs wiring is gone been removed prior to me. I promise while in turns we are not pulling on any harnessing. I noticed when I take the gas cap off there is pressure coming out. It exits within a few seconds. Could this be a problem? Im getting desperate just throwing it out there. I guess my next step is to source a good electronic fuel pressure gauge that can be monitored is to see if when it cuts out if the pressure drops at the same time. I dont know if it will show it due to the fact its so instantaneous without min max type monitoring it might be a waist of time and money. The OBD2 in this vehicle does not have data for the fuel pressure or at least my scangauge II doesn't show it while running. I also removed the heat wrap up by the EGR tube and I was pretty surprised to not see melted wires. I removed the EGR tube last week The guy I bought if from deleted prior to me. Some how I was unable to access the site for a couple days due to some addblock setting.

Back