Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dead battery or alternator?

Can't remember if I've mentioned it for a while but there's Robson and Francis that supply and recondition alternators and starter motors and other small motors too. Proper job, good warranty and Mike is really helpful and knowledgeable.

It was the alternator, I had it replaced and the new one then turned out to be faulty because it would stop charging randomly. Had that one replaced under warranty only a couple of weeks ago, so far so good!

Steve.

If you keep your batteries in good order and replace well before they die, your alternator will last longer. I'm told that you should replace both batteries at the same time.

Yes that's good advice, I also had both batteries replaced at the same time since one was about 4 years and didn't do well on a battery test.

Also carefully check the output terminal lug from the alternator. Even though the cabling is strapped to the body of the alternator, these lugs are prone to cracking and eventually snapping in two giving an intermittent charge plus eventually blowing the diodes and regulator.

Back