Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

DeLorme inReach

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
For my last trip I purchased a “DeLorme inReach”, it was great. As you say web portal with live tracking, plus the ability to send receive messages via satellite anywhere in the world.
To save cluttering up Marks thread I thought I would ask here.

As it looks like my Morocco trip this year will be just the one vehicle, this might give me piece of mind. Obviously driving an 80 means I will not have any problems :icon-biggrin: but it's just a thought....

Is there a monthly subscription to pay once the device is bought? Which one is recommended for live tracking and the option to send/receive texts?

Last edited:
GTC.JPG
These are the rates and plans from GTC

There is also the Garmin Spot (?) which is sort of similar and RoughTrax are also selling a cheapish tracker. Worth looking at to see what suits. The DeLorme looks like it has a lot more functionality ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've looked at the spot and DeLorme with interest but not pulled the plug on purchasing either atm. I'll be very interested in seeing how the DeLorme works in the field.

A lower tech option for ithing users to the find a friend function. I've been trialling this in the uk and it allows a third party to track the location of a nominated phone/ipad. Seems to work ok here, but doesn't give the route log that Spot and DeLorme provide. Also I assume that this needs a mobile data connection to provide the tracking rather than just using gps which would mean it's potentially patchy on the coverage or cost a fair bit unless you buy a local sim. I'll be running this option on our Morocco expedition in October

Here's the RoughTrax one which I'll get if I decide to go this route

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=976&vid=2405

Streetwise Vehicle & Personal GPS Tracker. Send the tracker a text message from your mobile phone & the tracker will reply with a map of the GPS location, speed, time, date & remaining battery life.*
Simply insert the pay-as-you-go SIM card that RoughTrax provide or any network SIM of your choice, top up the SIM card with credit, charge up the tracker device for a*36 hour charge*or connect to a vehicle battery with the hard wire supplied for permanent use.*
Simple to use AND*subscription free, just add credit!

Suitable for all types of vehicles, caravans, trailers, motorbikes etc. we have also known them being used for people with Alzheimer's by care homes, walking your dog, car parks & finding your tent at festivals.*

For £55 or so

Back