Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Differential grinding noise when parking - Prado 97 3400 V6

Is it normal that i could not turn and rotate the front shaft by hand? I saw another 4wd truck (not a prado) in the service shop and its front shaft can be rotated.

I've been reading this thread and thought it was review time!

It happens during parking when the car is moving really really slow.Something like 1-3 kph. The sound could be heard when I turn the steering wheel(even slightly) to the left or to the right, when going either forward orbackward;

2. The sound goes something like 'kroog kroog kroog kroog' and it goescontinuously as the wheels turn. The sound seems prominent at the back part of the vehicle;

I am a newbie with 4wds but after some googling on the net, I also readabout CV joints thinking that it may be the possible culprit. However, I lookedat the CV boots but they all seems good;

It does not sound as I steer. It makes the sound asthe car rolls. Do you still think it is the power steering?

It does not make the sound when going straight (eitherforwards or backwards);

It makes thesound when I steer startingaround 40 degrees either to the left or right, the sound stops when my steeringreaches 180 degrees OR when I accelerate and go 15 kph and faster;

The sound occurs even when slightly stepping on the brakesor slightly engaging the hand brakes;

The sound occurs even when I have the car on neutral - aslong as the car is running slowly and the wheels turned either left or right;

The sound occurs regardless whether I have it set on LL, HLor H;

Rear diff is not locked but I feel a slight resistance whenI start to turn it.

1. My first impression was is sounds like CVs as they rarely make a noise going straight but can (ifworn) make a noise when the steering is turned. The noise usually is more noticeablethe more the steering is applied. 2. & 3. & 4. & 5. fits with 1. Where the noise occurs when thewheels are rotating slowly, not as you turn the steering wheel, suggestingstill that it could be the CVs.
6. Are you sure? The noise stopping on the tighter steer is not characteristicof CVs. (Damn!) it usually gets more prominent. 7. & 8. New territory! Now it’s brakes! Only happens when using the brakesat speeds less than 3 kph only with slight turn on the steering (but goes awayon more turn of the steering? Ugh!
9. & 10. Unlikely to be the rear diff. from the descriptions. Rear diffwould not normally alter its sound on a slight turn and it go away on tighter turns.Resistance will be felt when rotating a jacked up rear wheel, you’re turninggears through the diff and driving the propshaft round, so it won’t be a freespin like a 2 wheel front wheel drive rear wheel would feel. Whereare we now? Possiblecauses in my humble opinion :
Rearbrake pads binding; You suggested the sound coming from the rear...

Frontbrake pads binding; Possible, sound travels...
CVsunlikely;
Diffproblems unlikely;
Steeringrack even more unlikely. You said the sound is from the wheels rotating (not steer turning). Notvery helpful I’m afraid, but it’s the best I can offer. For me its breaks bedding in. Give it another 500km and see if its still making the same noises under the same circumstances. My advice is don’trule out anything just because you’ve recently had something “done”. Brakes(for example) take a while to bed in, and they can make some odd noises whilethey are bedding in.

Thank you Clive , i doubt very much its a serious problem and i think Amacatan needs to look for much simpler possible causes . I just searched the forum for similar threads and the last time everyone was baffled by a noise turned out to be the wheel nuts were lose ! :laughing-rolling:

Thank you Clive , i doubt very much its a serious problem and i think Amacatan needs to look for much simpler possible causes . I just searched the forum for similar threads and the last time everyone was baffled by a noise turned out to be the wheel nuts were lose ! :laughing-rolling:

True enough Shayne!

Hey, Amacatan, try a wheel brace :clap::lol:

Thanks clivehorridge especially for the summary/review!

I think I would have to take back what I said regarding the sound going away when I steer more than 180 degrees. It does still make the sound based on my latest test drive.

I have also observed that there is some resistance as I hear the 'thud thud' sound. When going forward slowly with wheels turned, it seems that the car inches its way forward as I hear the 'thud'.

Based on all the analysis, could it be the CVs all along?

Have you greased your shafts ? Have you put bigger tyres on ? is your handbrake releasing fully ?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks clivehorridge especially for the summary/review!

I think I would have to take back what I said regarding the sound going away when I steer more than 180 degrees. It does still make the sound based on my latest test drive.

I have also observed that there is some resistance as I hear the 'thud thud' sound. When going forward slowly with wheels turned, it seems that the car inches its way forward as I hear the 'thud'.

Based on all the analysis, could it be the CVs all along?

VERY LIKELY!

Normally (in my experience) you can "feel" the bearings inside the CV being forced over the high spots compared with them running in the worn low spots, if that makes any sense. It's a slight feeling through the steering wheel. If you jack up one front wheel and rotate it, you may feel this more prominently.

On tight lock driving, especially with power on, they can sound alarmingly loud and clunky as the wheel rotates. Don't jack a front wheel and run it in gear on tight lock, you could do some damage and run the risk of the truck lurching forward off the jack. Make sure all the wheels on the ground are well chocked front and rear to avoid this, and don't give any revs. Let the wheel rotate at idle speed only.

If anyone has a better way to advise how to check for worn CVs, please advise before he tries any of this!

The condition of the CV boots or gaiters is no indication of the condition of the CVs.

There's a PS from me, if you search Chris' threads and posts, he's got some nightmare photos of CVs that have simply exploded. I don't want you posting that you followed my advice and the same thing has happened to you!! I'll try to find these photos for you.

Look on this thread " CV joints .... ?? " posted by Red Oktober it's on the 80 Series forum. Sorry but I don't know how to make a link to it...:?:icon-rolleyes: I'm useless at IT trickery I'm afraid!

Click on Red Oktober (in the line above) and scroll down to the post.

The picture from Chris aptly titled "Shagged" is this one:

Shagged%20CV.jpg

Last edited:
I have posted a video for you to view. The sound is louder in person than it is in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8IIKcSv00

That sound sounds familiar, I had that noise and thought it was the CV's but when I got someone to listen to it from outside the car it was traced to the front diff, turned out to be the crown wheel and pinion very worn, have you had someone else listen while you drive it slowly?

Thank you for all your replies. I have not checked the car's CVs yet when I stumbled upon this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXdVNzjAFO4

It talks about locking hubs. I still am not familiar with locking hubs and this is the first time I have driven a 4wd (I'm a newbie to 4wd and I do not do off-roading but all the information here has been really helpful to diagnosing my problem), but could it be that my problem points to the car's locking hubs? My front shaft won't turn as in the video and my differentials are not locked.

Your truck is all wheel drive Amacatan meaning it is permanently in 4x4 mode , forget the lockers and investigate the suggestions given by both Clive and Chas .

Ok sorry for the ignorance. Uber newbie here hehe.

After going to 2 reputable service stations and no sure diagnosis, I think I'll just have it brought to Toyota to be sure. I'll just prepare myself when billing time comes hehe.

I'll keep everyone posted once this has been resolved.

Ok sorry for the ignorance. Uber newbie here hehe.

After going to 2 reputable service stations and no sure diagnosis, I think I'll just have it brought to Toyota to be sure. I'll just prepare myself when billing time comes hehe.

I'll keep everyone posted once this has been resolved.

Thats going to be your main problem, price! CVs are expensive, even cheap ones. Genuine parts even more so but generally better quality for the money. If, as Chas suggested, it's the diff itself, then that won't be cheap either, depending on what's wrong.

At least you should get a better diagnosis at the Toyota dealer (also not guaranteed!). :doh:

Here's an update:

I have not brought the car to the nearby Toyota because apparently, they do not accept Toyota's that are more than 10 years old!

Having no other option, I brought the car to yet another service center. They checked and double-checked the CVs as per my request but they confirmed that it is all good. We then drove the car to a secluded parking complex where there is little noise. With the engine turned off, we then listened as we pushed the car forward/backward turning left/right. The sound is coming from the center/rear differential! We can even feel the shudder as the tires are 'relieved' on each knock.

I think I would not have the guys dismantle the differentials just as of yet. We'll try if changing the differential oil would 'cure' the problem first. The car has 90,000 kms into it and the differential oil has not been changed ever since. Maybe because the differential oil always seems to be still okay upon inspecting. The manual states that it should be changed every 40,000 kms. Anyway, I hope this does the trick otherwise any other fix would mean a lot of $$$

Last edited:
I've been reading this thread and thought it was review time!

1. It happens during parking when the car is moving really really slow.Something like 1-3 kph. The sound could be heard when I turn the steering wheel(even slightly) to the left or to the right, when going either forward orbackward;

2. The sound goes something like 'kroog kroog kroog kroog' and it goescontinuously as the
wheels turn. The sound seems prominent at the back part of the vehicle;

3. I am a newbie with 4wds but after some googling on the net, I also readabout CV joints thinking that it may be the possible culprit. However, I lookedat the CV boots but they all seems good;

4. It does
not sound as I steer. It makes the sound asthe car rolls. Do you still think it is the power steering?

5. It does
not make the sound when going straight (eitherforwards or backwards);

6. It
makes thesound when I steer startingaround 40 degrees either to the left or right, the sound stops when my steeringreaches 180 degrees OR when I accelerate and go 15 kph and faster;

7. The
sound occurs even when slightly stepping on the brakesor slightly engaging the hand brakes;

8. The
sound occurs even when I have the car on neutral - aslong as the car is running slowly and the wheels turned either left or right;

9. The
sound occurs regardless whether I have it set on LL, HLor H;

10. Rear diff is
not locked but I feel a slight resistance whenI start to turn it.

1. My first impression was is sounds like CVs as they rarely make a noise going straight but can (ifworn) make a noise when the steering is turned. The noise usually is more noticeablethe more the steering is applied.
2. & 3. & 4. & 5. fits with 1. Where the noise occurs when thewheels are rotating slowly, not as you turn the steering wheel, suggestingstill that it could be the CVs.
6. Are you sure? The noise stopping on the tighter steer is not characteristicof CVs. (Damn!) it usually gets more prominent.
7. & 8. New territory! Now it’s brakes! Only happens when using the brakesat speeds less than 3 kph only with slight turn on the steering (but goes awayon more turn of the steering? Ugh!
9. & 10. Unlikely to be the rear diff. from the descriptions. Rear diffwould not normally alter its sound on a slight turn and it go away on tighter turns.Resistance will be felt when rotating a jacked up rear wheel, you’re turninggears through the diff and driving the propshaft round, so it won’t be a freespin like a 2 wheel front wheel drive rear wheel would feel. Whereare we now? Possiblecauses in my humble opinion :
Rearbrake pads binding; You suggested the sound coming from the rear...
Frontbrake pads binding; Possible, sound travels...
CVsunlikely;
Diffproblems unlikely;
Steeringrack even more unlikely. You said the sound is from the wheels rotating (not steer turning).
Notvery helpful I’m afraid, but it’s the best I can offer. For me its breaks bedding in. Give it another 500km and see if its still making the same noises under the same circumstances. My advice is don’trule out anything just because you’ve recently had something “done”. Brakes(for example) take a while to bed in, and they can make some odd noises whilethey are bedding in.

I know this is an old topic, but I searched for a solution to exactly this problem, and I found where tve sound comes from in my case. I had changed the rear differential oil twice, always according to user manual specs oil. But this is not enough, I managed to buy limited slip diff oil from Toyota, and this makes a big differece! The noice has disappeared. Anyone having the problem described here, try original limited slip oil from Toyota, the sound is very hard to locate even to the rearof the car.

Back