Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Differential grinding noise when parking - Prado 97 3400 V6

I'm not a 90 owner but that looks like the steering rack?

I am still inclined to think that it has something to do with the differential and it being 4wd. I recall jonnyboy54321's post regarding the differential being engaged. How do I check this?

I might get this wrong coz i'm going from memory but somebody is sure to quickly correct me if i am . If you jack a back wheel up , and disengage the handbrake you should be able to turn the back wheel by hand . If the diff is engaged you won't be able to turn it because it is locked to the other 3 wheels which will still be on the ground .

Last edited:
I might get this wrong coz i'm going from memory but somebody is sure to quickly correct me if i am . If you jack a back wheel up , and disengage the handbrake you should be able to turn the back wheel by hand . If the diff is engaged you won't be able to turn it because it is locked to the other 3 wheels which will still be on the ground .

Ok I'll try this. Just thinking ahead, how can I disengage this if it is engaged?

Put the small gear lever in HH and make sure the electric diff switch to the right and below your steering wheel is turned off .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Put the small gear lever in HH and make sure the electric diff switch to the right and below your steering wheel is turned off .

I had it at H and the diff lock notification is unlit. But by the way it is, I guess you are on the right track that the car seems to be not disengaging the diff lock. How do we remedy this?

DSCN5030.jpg

Just behind the shiney bit is a rusty hat like cap with two 10mm bolt holding it on , take that off and inside you will see a pin , that pin should move back and forth when you turn the electric diff switch . You must have the centre diff locked using the small gear lever or it won't work . Oil the pin and tap it a little turning the switch on and off while you go and hopefully it will free up . Sometimes you have to drive or reverse a few metres before the diffs lock .

I just did this and I was able to turn one wheel by hand which means that the differential is not locked. Could it be that it somewhat locks itself erratically as I am turning?

Well sorry mate its after midnight here and i'm off to bed but nevermind we have ruled out locker problems , so maybe tomorrow we will work out its wheel bearings or something else .

Well sorry mate its after midnight here and i'm off to bed but nevermind we have ruled out locker problems , so maybe tomorrow we will work out its wheel bearings or something else .

Thanks Shayne. I appreciate the help!

I do not have the shiny part as in the pic in my Prado, but I noticed that there is an electrical connector which is not plugged anywhere. Could this be related to my problem? I do not see anything the connector could have been disconnected from though.

Attachments

• 20131215_094154.jpg
    20131215_094154.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
You don't have a rear locker and the wiring loom is generally the same on all 90's so you can ignore that electrical connector and your diff locks , its something else . If you have checked all the bushes and found them to be ok the only other thing i can think off is your handbrake caliper may be sticking . Other than that its back to your steering wrack unless someone else has any ideas ?

I would say there is nothing wrong with the shaft in the vid

Back