Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

DO SHOCK ABSORBERS COME LOOSE ON LC-100?

kamalsrana

Garage
Country Flag
kenya
Hello,

Just wanted to find out if anyone has had the same problem.

I had my full suspension OME kit fitted by a well known Co in Oxfordshire. It was fine for about 9 months then, I started to hear noises, rattles and squeaks from the driver side.

I took the vehicle to many different mechanical gurus, and they even tested it on one of these machines which do a vibration and bump test while under the vehicle and they found nothing.

2 months ago my son bounced the driver side of the veh up and down and we saw that the bolt on the shock moved up and down with the rocking movement. The other side did not.

So, when we spoke to the Gurus (Dont want to name names) they said the lower bush on the shock was gone.

To order it, was told it would take 12 weeks as its an ARB part.

So yesterday, I figured that if the bush was gone, the shock would move but the bolt holding it should'nt, so, took the wheel off and with a size 19 spanner and socket, tried to tighten it and guess what, it was so loose that I could tighten it with the spanner.

Now, magically all the noises disapeared and I dont need a lower bush as it was the loose bolt that was the culprit. :dance:

Is this common? has anyone also had this problem, is there like a recomendation as to how often one should check for loose Old Man Emu shocks? :?:

You have been informed, any rattles and squeaks etc, pls do check loose shocks.

I havnt had it on the l/c but i have had a shock come loose on an astra van i once owned.

Joe

Hi, yeah, quite surprising.

I guess it was probably not tightened sufficiently when they instaled the Shocks.

So, they worked themselves loose over a period of 9 months. I am going to give the once over to the remaining shocks tomorrow.

I am glad that although many read the topic, no one complained of a similar event.

Best rgds

I think it is highly unlikely that the bolt has come loose - whilst they aren't nyloc nuts they do a pretty good job of locking on.

It sounds more than likely that the shock was never fully tightened up, something that I am surprised the other garages didn't spot.

It's great that it is sorted, however do get the bushes checked. All the bushes are designed to work when bolted up - if the bolts have been loose the bushes may have been worn - also if it was the lower bolt, the bolt and the sleeve in the lower shock mount (a moulded bush) may have been damaged through wear.

Dear Jullian,

Hi, I have checked the shock now and it seems fine, the sems to be OK too, it appears that the shock was never fully tightened as the other shocks all look OK.

I just sent my wheels for a power coat today, the decent chap agreed to do 5 Rims for £200 quid, so Satin Black is the colour and since the cruiser is sitting on 4 axel stands and 3 jacks (Heavy Beast), I will perform more checks today.

All the Best.

As far as I remember, from last time I touched the lower bolt of the shox:
the nut locks to the mount.
I.e. the bolt has to be tightened, not the nut. If you tighten the nut, it will lock before it is tight enough and the bolt will still be loose.
Same thing when undoing a shock, - turn the bolt, not the nut.

Don't know if this has any relevance in this case, but it's something to remember for us diy-ers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah ha, now I see what you meant, yup thats correct.

I guess the fitter tightened the nut and thought job done.

Thanks matey

Back