Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Downsizing to 265/75/16 tyres

Ken Brenton

Country Flag
england
Hi, just recently settled in the UK from RSA and bought a 2001 Amazon VX 4.7 that needs new tyres. I currently have road tyres 275/70/16 fitted.
I had Bridegestone AT 285/75/16's on my 80 GXL 4.5 EFI in SA but that had suspension lift and camber correction fitted and I don't want to go to those lengths on the Amazon, but I do want the ability to "go and play" with you guys occasionally.
I have been looking at General Grabber AT2 which seem to be slightly more off road biased than Bridgestone AT but also well mannered on road and softer on the pocket. Only problem is that they don't seem to do a 275 tyre. How would a 265/75/16 be on the Amazon? The rolling diameter is marginally larger and I feel the loss of width may improve mud performance without seriously affecting road handling.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ken

P.S I will get to introduce myself on the forum soon but have exchanged emails with several very active members already.

I wouldn't expect any noticeable difference whatsoever . The difference is millimetres!you have tyres on that are 70% of 275 and changing to 75% of 265. Speedo probably won't change either. I'm going up to 305/70/16 at2 on my v8 from 275/70/16 with a slight OME lift at the back. 33" tyres are fine to fit on stock suspension as far as I know if that's any use to you!! Go big!

Just looked on 1010tires and your differences are ,new tyres are 1.55% smaller and 1.582% slower meaning 60mph on speedo is 59 mph

Hey Ken, you can go 285/75/16 on the amazon with out doing anything to it. No lift or castor correction needed.

Had you thought about 255 85 16, I have been toying with the size for ages.

Thanks for the inputs.
I think if no lift required then 285/75/16 are the way to go and my preference at the moment is the GG AT2.
I will finalise a deal when the papers arrive for the car. No sense in putting £750 into a car that is not in my name yet :shock:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ken, I believe the at2's are being phased out because of the pesky Eu

Julian
Thanks, will that mean existing tyres will become illegal?

I don't believe so, retailers have been struggling to keep up the rule change

Back