Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Drivers window

Andy Walker

Can anyone shed any light on how to get my drivers window working again.
During the recent freeze and snow etc my drivers window iced up and wouldnt go up and down. It eventually freed itself, but it now seems the glass has become departed from the scissor thing that pushes it up and down. The scissor bit is working, I had to re-attach the bar onto the top of the scissor mechanism with the knuckle fittings - which actually seems a bit loose/wobbly.
There's a rubber strip in the groove where the glass is supposed to sit, I tried till my fingers froze the other day tring to get it back in place and eventually gave up.... Is there anyone who knows how to do this - I'm obviously getting it wrong somewhere.
Should the rubber be stuck(with glue) in the grove and the glass then be stuck(with glue) in the rubber strip?????? :think: :think: :think:

Almost impossible to push the glass back into the metal runner far enough with the rubber glazing strip while its all in the door..Best to remove glass from door frame and knock the runner on to the glass with some lube,wd40,wash up liquid etc with rubber mallet.then slide it back in top of door and bolt up.
not that difficult to do.
gary

I had this problem on my 80, and the knuckle came out and the glass became detached, found the best way was to take the glass and channel out, then put a rubber mat on the lawn with the top of the glass down, then got a rubber mallet and hammered the channel onto the glass, then had to re-attach the channel inside the door, need small hands for this.

I had enough trouble getting the channel onto the scissor mechanism without the glass attached.....
Is there enough room to get the channel aswell as the glass in through the top of the door?

It was a while ago that I did it, but from memory the channel is attached with a couple of 10mm bolts to the runner, but the glass will definitely go in with the channel.

When mine came out the channel my mate who is a screen fitter chucked the rubber gasket away & simply bonded the channel on to the window glass, had to leave in the closed position for a few hours till it set but it will never come off again, pic below for benefit of others which shows the drivers side channel not the side i had to do, another tip while your in there make sure the nylon guide wheel is not siezed & grease well.

Various451.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok then my drivers door window is stuck as well it will not open so I assume the same has happened..
will have to strip it when the weather gets better and sort it out...

Back