Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driveshafts

cjb80

Country Flag
australia
I've noticed a small bit of oil on my driveshafts - pics below - is this normal, or does it suggest a seal is gone/going? - I was looking at them to possibly regrease to reduce difflash As per this video using the Mercedes grease -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URl7Y93XWtQ)

FRONT

PXL_20210509_091644160.jpg

REAR

PXL_20210509_091606943.jpg

Thanks !

That is the slip joint on your propshaft. It's not oil, it's grease and don't worry it's supposed to be there. When your axle moves up and down, the length of the propshaft changes and this sliding joint makes up the difference. It needs to be greased but NOT a lot. There should be a greasing point on the other side. People pump too much grease in there which makes it solid. It's perfectly normal for a bit of that grease to get squeezed out down the splines as you can see in your pictures. The high and low marks you can see are the ends of the travel that happen when the axle moves up and down.

Agree with Chris. On a slightly different note, same thing with the universal joints. Make sure they are greased and showing a small amount of grease showing around the joints after being greased.
I wipe away any excess once greased, saves it being flicked under the truck. Done mine this morning and after a new UJ fitted last week.
See attached:

Attachments

• IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 39
That's normal , as others say don't over grease them ...2 to 4 pumps of the grease gun will be more than enough ...
What I don't understand is how greasing them can reduce backlash in anything ....

Depends on what you call backlash i suppose , for me its a feeling which triggers all senses but none in particular . A dry dog clutch on a fishing boat winch feels awful but the same greased feels fluid - and its open and visible so it shouldn't really make any difference whatsoever given there like 2" deep turrets meshing by eye and lever ?

Never heard anyone suggest that it reduces backlash. Backlash in what? The splines do wear usually due to not being greased of course. They get sloppy (rotationally) and there's no fix. Let alone greasing them. People do pump them too full and that leads to diff seals being punished. Cure usually is just to unscrew the grease nipple and let the natural pressure push out any excess grease.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great tip to reduce pressure due to excess grease.

Depends on what you call backlash i suppose , for me its a feeling which triggers all senses but none in particular . A dry dog clutch on a fishing boat winch feels awful but the same greased feels fluid - and its open and visible so it shouldn't really make any difference whatsoever given there like 2" deep turrets meshing by eye and lever ?
That big clunk when you take your foot off the accelerator.. reading a lot of forums, it's a common issue..

That's driveline shunt. Could be quite a few causes to that. Generally wear in the suspension bushes. Typically in control arms. Can be engine mountings and such like too. Yes it can be in the actual drive, props, diffs and so on, but wear is expected in all of the rubber parts so best to eliminate those first

There's the tenuous link maybe , worn cushions are typically to blame and in driveshafts grease is the cushion .

Back