Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Drivetrain binding on 1996 kzj90

Kevn

Country Flag
united_states
I have only had my 90 for a couple of months, and recently it started to feel like something is binding in the drivetrain.

Today when I pull away from a stop, sometimes it will start off fine, and then the truck will feel like the brakes were applied slightly. It also seems to be worst in reverse. There is normally some drivetrain noise and even clicking that corresponds to this.

I have been under the truck, and the driveshafts look tight. I don't see anything that looks out of place.
I'm thinking my next step is to change the fluid in the transfer case to see if there is any metal in the fluid.

Any ideas, insights or possible a fix will be much appreciated. Thanks!

You don't have the centre diff locked do you ?

Hey Shayne thanks for the comment. No, when I backed up today, and something felt odd, like more throttle than normal was needed to back up, or something was binding and making the truck feel like it was inconsistently being held back. I then tried locking the center diff and the light came on and with the diff locked it drove the same.

I don't know the last time the drive shafts were greased, but they are rust-free and look to have been taken care of. I'm going to grease them tomorrow, but I don't see them binding to a point that they are slowing the truck.

I hadn't thought about that. I'll add that to the list of things to look at.

Try jacking each wheel off ground in turn to check you can spin it by hand, to see if a brake is binding. Handbrake off on when checking rears and gearbox in N. Chock over wheels on ground too ! To stop vehicle moving.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks! That is a great idea! I was thinking I was going to have to call in favors with buddies that have lifts or do the full lift with jack stands. I can try this today.

Back