Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Earth wire of the throttle body heating up

Ibrahim

Country Flag
pakistan
Hi all,

I have a Toyota land cruiser 100 series 1999 and I have just noticed that the earth wire of the throttle body is heating up a lot. Can you kindly provide me with any suggestions of why this is happening ? I am ready to take the car to the workshop but I think that something will get damaged in the process. Any suggestions

Regards

Check all the other earth wires.
Probably there will be one loose, so the current searches its way to earth along another wire.

Ditto, though I would think on startup it would glow and pop if the main earth strap was loose/broken unless it has just happened.

The other thing to check is for any damage to the wiring loom causing something else to use that earth as its return path (like FW said but in reverse if that makes sense). Has the truck just recently had any servicing or repairs that could have resulted in damage to the engine loom?

Yes you have a loose earth wire somewhere.

I remember when I ran the glow plugs on my LR and then started the engine. Was a smell like an electric toaster from under the bonnet. On checking, with someone else starting, the metal throttle rod went white hot :wtf:.

Back