Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical gremlins.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Just had one or two electrical gremlins on the 24V 80 auto I generally use, firstly the volt meter in the clocks would drop to half and the fuel gauge would go off the scale periodically and then 50 miles later would revert back to normal service. I knew the battery voltage was fine as I had a volt meter in the lighter socket. This led to allsorts of investigations, changing the Voltmeter/ fuel gauge unit in the clocks, still the same. Cured by tightening all the screws on the back of the clock binnacle so obviously a poor connection on the flexible circuit board to a unit within the binnacle.
Secondly the cruise control decided not to work recently which when you are used to having one is a bit of a pain not having it. Having a minute or two thinking about it I thought of the things you touch most to be most likely culprits before getting deeper into it. First changing the stalk on the steering wheel made no difference so I changed the brake light switch ( both robbed off MUD, the truck which keeps giving) and a 10 minute job yielded me working cruise control again.
It's amazing how you like a truck much more when all that is in front of you works properly.

Good tips Andy. And very clearly put. I'll be looking at my brake light switch as my cruise control suddenly cuts out for no reason or behaves normally or won't work.

Andy, when your cruise control wasn’t working, did the green cruise light come on the dash still?

Noting comes up on mine when the button is pressed. Repaired the stalk wires and even checked against a known good clock spring.

It came on and went out again when engaged. Mines an auto so only has a switch on the brake pedal. I think manuals have a switch on the clutch pedal as well.

Back