Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Enduro Runway tyres - any comments

wobbly

Garage
Am looking at upsizing tyres to either 31"/32" or 265/75R16's

Regarding the latter, I have been offered Enduro Freeway A/T's.

Anyone any experience of these?

They appear to be a more 'road biased' AT tyre than the BFG AT or ATKO.

Enduro is £86 inc , whereas BFG are £108 for 31" or £141 for 265/75R16's

Advantage of the BFG 31 or 32 is that I can keep the current Toyota alloys.

A good alternative to all these would be General Tyres AT2's at £101 each for 265's. They seem to be the most serious alternative to the BFG's, but at £40 per tyre each cheaper.

Pete

I had some Enduro Runaways on my 80. You posted about Runways but mention Freeways. All I can tell you about the Runaways is that they are aptly named. They are shocking tyres and only to be but on a truck to get it through an MOT so that you can flog it. They didn't stop, didn't grip, didn't corner and the black came off the sides leaving a hideous white wall effect. I stress that this was on an 80 and was my experience. But I do know of others who have had the same results on different trucks. Dunno about the ATs but if the road tyres are anything to by you may as well just set fire to your money. At least you'll be warm for a bit. Better that than in a ditch.

Chris

Wobbly
In my opinion forget the cost, i know its hard to as it is for us all. The bf s Will wear really well far better than any road tyre. I have them on two trucks and there great.
I also have a set of at2s on my 80 these are to really good and i would say they are better than the bfs in this weather (only just though).
I am under the impression the bfs you will get alot more out of them. Defo go for either of the all terrains and not the road tyre
karl :thumbup:

dito cris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, runways they were, no idea where freeway came from.

I think I'm going to go for the AT2's - I can only afford 4 BFG's, or 5 AT2's.

Gonna phone round now and see what deal I can get with steel rims as well.

Had a look at the Avon Rangers, Withams a loooong way from me, shame as they are a good price.

Pete

wobbly,
I really do think your making the right choice if it makes you feel better.
Its good on here as you can use other peoples experiences etc to help you make your mind up. I wish i had been part of forums all the time ive been wasting money on cars :thumbup:
Keep us posted :thumbup: :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Karl

I have just been looking at a 32" bfg at £119.00 inc.

I might go for them, and either a cheaper or 2nd hand spare.

Many years ago I had an SJ which ran on remould AT's which were BFG lookalikes, and they were really good, so I've always fancied the originals.

Cheers

Pete

They do wear better than the at2s. I do offroad work with my truck, lanning, and general playing. With these types of tyres you have the choice to do the above. With the road type tyre you have no chance. My mate has just had this with his 80 with road tyres compared to his 80 with bf mts on it. He may give his view as well. Part worns are fine mate All my tryes have come off trucks that i have brought. I do buy the odd one to make a set up etc. Let me know when you buy as i may have the size you need as a spare. Or ebay is obviously good
karl

I decided on 32" Generals - the AT2, can get 5 for the cost of 4 bfg's.......but, cant find any in this country.

I have been looking at prices, I can get a good selection of 31" tyres for the £80 - 90 (including my beloved Falken Landairs).

But will I be happy with 31" tyres.

The truck needs new springs and shocks badly, so am awaiting a 2" lift set.

Will the tyres look too small after the lift?

Anyone have a photo of a lifted lj78 on 31" tyres?

Too many choices, so little cash!

Pete.

wobbly said:
Cheers Karl

I have just been looking at a 32" bfg at £119.00 inc.

Pete

Thats a great price,
Snap it up while you can

I have also the BFG A/T, and since the day they went on, I have done about 20,000 miles, and I can't even see any wear.
Indeed, the little 'moulding' pipets ? on the top edge of the tread blocks, are still showing on some of the tyres.

At this rate, I am gobsmacked, !

If they don't get 80k to 100k miles I would be surprised.
However, my 120 series, is very seldom carry more than me and 1 passenger.

Graham

Spent some time ringing round, finally spoke to the General Tyre importer, short answer is there havent been any 32" AT2's imported for a couple of years.

He highly recomended the 32" bfg's , reckoned they were good for 80,000 miles....thats ok but they crack after 10 years and I only do maybe 5000 miles a year, and wont have the truck in 10 years.

He told me the 265/75R16 is 31.65" tall.

I may as well stick to 31" tyres on my 15" alloys, still 2" taller than the current tyres and should be somewhat cheaper.

can spend the difference on a compressor pump and hi-lift !

Pete

all things going well, i'll be removing some some 275/70 r16 tyres on friday from my landcruiser and putting the up for sale if that's of any interest.

2x kumho kl12 and 2 x bridgestone revos (which are a pretty good a/t tyre in my opinion) and bridgestone winter dueller spare.

bit of a mix, but i won't be asking very much for them.

Thats good of you to mention, but I'm going to buy new.

Just fancy treating myself!

Thanks anyway

Pete

Ordered 5 General Grabber 31" AT2's.

Got to get the suspension done now!

Pete

Had the Grabbers fitted today.

The overall height is just over 2" taller than the original 265's, so I've gained an inch of ground clearance.

Biggest surprise is that they are miles quieter, and the steering is considerably lighter - have them at 32psi, same as previous ones.

This might show the before (bottom) and after (top), its not really noticeable to anyone other than me!

002.jpg

Toyota18Aug10001.jpg

So now on with the suspension.

I'm having second thoughts about the 2" lift......just fitting new shocks/springs at standard settings will give me an inch at the front, and maybe 4" at the back. Going for a 2" lift may well make it look oversprung - been looking at one that has 31" tyres and 2" lift and its maybe further than I want go.

Am interested to see mpg after the tyre swap - hoping that increase in circumference plus better quality tyre may gain me a little on the road......I know that 30mph around town was at 1800rpm, its now at 1650rpm.

Regards

Pete

Back