Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine help

krissadouk

Country Flag
united_states
Hello all! I am in need of some advice. I have a 94 FJ80 and the engine has died on me. I love my cruiser and can't bare to part it out or junk it. I would like to put a new engine in it and have no idea what would work. Any advice or help would be much apparated.

As 80 engines petrol or diesel are capable of galactic miles with little more than regular run of the mill maintenance and they will generally outlast the bodywork surely it makes sense to replace it with exactly the same

I would like to but can't seem to find any for sale, at least in my state.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A Cummins 6BT conversion has been done a few times so it might be worth looking into that

Hello all! I am in need of some advice. I have a 94 FJ80 and the engine has died on me. I love my cruiser and can't bare to part it out or junk it. I would like to put a new engine in it and have no idea what would work. Any advice or help would be much apparated.
Hi I am in the same boat and would really appreciate free some advice. The dealers are Quoting me an arm and a leg for the engine. The other mechanics say they can replace it but with a second hand engine. I am trying to figure out which route to go or where can I purchase a new engine but cheaper and/or on my own. I am in Washington state.

Firstly, are you sure that the engine has completely died and you need a new engine? Unless you have a ton of forbidden glitter in the oil filter or lower oil pan, or unless you have an extra inspection hole in the block, these 1FZ-FE engines are robust and can be rebuilt.

Colorado, and the surrounding states, have a ton of cruiser shops that deal with 80s. Many will also do engine swaps if you're interested in that.

There are lots of variables to consider (what repairs need to be done, parts/labor costs, how much of the work you will do, new crate engine or second hand engine, etc), but very generally, you're looking at 10K USD minimum for a total rebuild of the stock engine. LS swaps will be a minimum of 25K and diesel swaps are a minimum of 40K.

Remember, these shops are charging what the market will bear, not what you can source from online shops. Average prices for new cars in the US is 48K. New SUVs are around 70K. They're taking the current car market into account for their pricing.

Might be a good idea to join a Landcruiser club in your state and get some local advice.

Back