Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

eu in or out poll

And what hassle have you been told to expect Lyn, what will actually happen?

regards

Dave

Not speaking for Lyn but France imposes far higher capital gains tax on the sale of 2nd homes for non EU citizens. I haven't checked but I doubt my E111 will be worth much either; I think that is EEA related.

At last my starter has arrived from Oz....well actually it is in Spain but I have not seen it yet. So now the encouraging process for dealing outside of the EU comes to light and just how easy it is NOT for non-member states to sell their goods here, and also how non encouraging it is for me to purchase outside of the EU.

Today I received a letter informing me my starter was ready for delivery...............but:

I need to email the supplier for a 'factura' or receipt for the goods actual value.
They then send me the receipt via email.
I forward it to the central post office.
They calculate the import duty.
They email me the bill of duty.
I print off said bill of duty.
I go to the bank and pay the bill of duty.
I scan the receipt I get from the bank.
I send scan to central post office.
They inform local post office that they can now send me the starter.

Letter came with a big red stamp on it marked...............................URGENT!!

Now tell me this is good for trading with other nations!

And in case you were wondering, the same starter here was twice the price and a 5th of the warranty.

regards

Dave

EDIT: Just read the rear of the envelope and it reads:

'THE SOLUTION TO YOUR GLOBAL SHIPMENTS'

Er.....well...er...OK.

Why blame the EU for this? I buy plenty from the UAE. dHLvsend me a web link to pay the duty and deliver next or even same day. I think your courier is poor and your vendor doesn't have much export experience if they didn't declare the value when they sent it.

Why blame the EU for this? I buy plenty from the UAE. dHLvsend me a web link to pay the duty and deliver next or even same day. I think your courier is poor and your vendor doesn't have much export experience if they didn't declare the value when they sent it.

If the EU was not trying to become (remain?) such a closed shop then the prices would be more competitive, I could then purchase from anywhere in the EU. Instead the prices are kept artificially high and I have to go elsewhere. Now seeing the grief I am getting it seems it would be easier suffering the higher cost, which is what they (companies in the EU) want. The money stays in the EU, the taxes remain in the EU and the faceless unelected dummies get to falsify more expense claims.

Remember the banks here only allow payment for certain bills on certain days, for example, you can only pay your utility bills in a bank on a Thursday between 10.30 and 11.30 and are shut here Saturdays. So, after the email/printing issue then I go to the bank to find out that I may or may not pay? I do concede that some of this may be the Spanish post office's fault however, it has only come about in the last year or two, why?

More stealthy methods to screw even more money out of Joe public?

regards

Dave

I missed a debate on Sky today about the E111, and only got the tail end of it. But it seems it is unaffected due to some other agreement with the rest of Europe.

There seems to be confusion that leaving the EU means anything with an 'E' in it is going to fall to pieces.

regards

Dave

you do realise the E111 vanished in 2006?

EHIC...sorry.

I had to apply for one if visiting the UK and needed health assistance, which I do not do to often if I can help it.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If the EU was not trying to become (remain?) such a closed shop then the prices would be more competitive, I could then purchase from anywhere in the EU.

Do you think? Who are the cited nations in Europe but outside the EU who are so successful? Switzerland, Norway and Iceland. If you were compiling a list of countries where you can buy cheap stuff where would they come on it?

I think companies charge what they think they can get away with. I have no idea why Toyota parts seems to be so cheap out of the UAE, which doesn't strike me as a poor country. I have lots of family in Australia who tell me how cheap the UK is in comparison. I don't know what you bought from there, but maybe it's not representative of consumer goods?

EHIC...sorry.

I had to apply for one if visiting the UK and needed health assistance, which I do not do to often if I can help it.

regards

Dave

And having now looked, EHIC is open to citizens of the EU, the EEA and Switzelrland. The UK isn't currently in the EEA, or Switzerland.

I had to apply to the local social security office, the EHIC here is called something else but roughly translates to the same thing. this kind of stuff is easy on pensioners so unsure why so many want out, if you are a resident and work here then it is not so straightforward. I am still waiting for mine, despite jumping through all the hoops, perhaps the authorities are waiting to see the outcome of the referendum?

regards

Dave

Meant to add, easy peasy with form S1 if you are a pensioner.

regards

Dave

How often do you live in that house? I presume you live in the UK as well, what you have to make your mind up about is which would cause you the most hassle staying in or moving out!
If you are mainly in the UK surely you should vote for whatever you feel is best for your life here not France.

It's what happens to the opportunity to travel between the UK and France or anywhere in Europe would be the perceived hassle, and what will happen to the ownership of the house. There will be some considerable time after the vote before anything actually happens if the vote is to leave.
As for which house I live in most it will be France,

Not speaking for Lyn but France imposes far higher capital gains tax on the sale of 2nd homes for non EU citizens. I haven't checked but I doubt my E111 will be worth much either; I think that is EEA related.

The capital gains in France are you pay 26% if you sell your second property in the first 5yrs and then it reduces by 10% for the following 10yrs so ends at zero after 15yrs, or so I believe. The 15yrs starts when you have your certificate of conformity.

Well that did not go to well with the starter delivery, and I wholly concede Rob was right that most of the problems I am getting is the usual

bureaucratic BS from Spain but, it seems I have to complete this online form in Spanish (no language option) HELLOOOOO we are in Europe!

Remember if this was in GB the document would be available in 700 languages including ghegege land in outer Barrigu where there is only SEVEN residents left that speak the native language.

So to this is a supposedly five step document (I lost count at step 14)

I requested an invoice with no delivery charge on it, just the invoice for the starter. The company sent me two BOTH with delivery charge!

I then go on the Spanish website, and I have to register for parcels outside of the EU!

I register and then they want a copy of my tax form, so I scan that in.

Then enter the various numbers from the document they sent me.

Then there is a request for a document about what the parcel contents are, then where it is going WTF!! They know where it is going because it has the destination on the box, the same place they sent the letter for the import duty!!!

So I wrote a letter explain the starter motor will be used to start my engine and the destination is the same as original.

The turns out not to be acceptable, I have to download THEIR letter of use and destination, print it off and sign it, scan it and send it back!!

At this point I was about to throw the f*king laptop in the sea!

My Spanish is passable.......just. So I guessed it was me that was finding it hard because of the language barrier, so I showed it to my American born ex partner, she is a language teacher here and owns her own language school. She speaks (apart from the dodgy American English <snigger>), and fluent in, Spanish, Italian, French, German, and not so fluent but passable Russian and some Chinese, AND EVEN SHE DID NOT UNDERSTAND THE DOCUMENT!

So we have politely requested help., is it too early to have a Scotch?

regards

Dave

Is it me or has the Brexit campaign all but died? The remain campaign is throwing report after report - valid or not - and the Brexit campaign have a response which looks like someone looking up from their paper with boredom and saying "It's rubbish" and going back to their paper. Pretty poor fight they are putting on. :(

I think they lost when a report came out saying your average Holiday to sunny parts of Europe would cost an extra £230. I bet you half of Benidorm population suddenly woke up for that.

They had a broadcast on BBC1 two nights ago. I think at around 7pm. Showing an elderly old woman waiting and waiting at a surgery now, compared to her walking straight in and being cured by a friendly doctor after Brexit.

They didn't mention if post Brexit we would renegotiate our participation in EHIC, which seems to be tied to nations with visas free movement agreements with the EU. Ho hum.

These are not my words but on the whole I agree with most of them.

On June 23rd, I am expected to make one of the most important decisions in my life which could affect my lfe in a way I don’t even understand yet. . I am sort of Joe average. Some people have asked me recently about how I’m voting, mainly because they don’t know themselves and want another view or opinion. I’ve actually been quite interested in the opportunity to vote in the referendum and I’ve done some research and a lot of thinking and I know how I’m going to vote and why.
I am however, concerned about the broadcasting from our elected government. They also know what they want and why but we, the people, need our government to provide us with a balanced view so we, the people, can make our own mind up. For that to happen, we need to understand all the good points, and all the bad points. At the moment, I can understand why some people are gripped by fear that the world will end if we leave the EU.
But will it?
Well, I see 3 main areas, which I thought about. Political, economic and immigration.
Before I go any further, I have already accepted one thing. Any change will result in good things and not so good things. I can’t think of one example, which has changed, which hasn’t created some benefits and burdens.
Let’s get the easy one’s out of the way….
Political. – As a UK citizen, I want my laws determined by the MP’s we elected as a democracy should be. Our Lords are the regulators of the decisions made in the commons and I’m good with that. What I don’t want are laws imposed on me by people who weren’t elected and are trying to find a “One size fits all” solution to many different countries who all have different tolerances, expectations and cultures.
Of all of the imposed laws from the EU, I can live without a law that stipulates that cucumbers must not have a bend in excess of 10 degrees. Some of our politicians quite fancy a career in the EU after their own political career has come to and end in the UK and this is the reason why I think some of them are so keen to stay.
Economic – This is where I see, and accept, that things will be a little worse before they get better. Let’s get one thing clear though. Big business leaders only want one thing. More sales and bigger profits. That’s not wrong, it’s their job, and what shareholders expect. Quite simply, if the companies they’re running don’t make more money every year, they lose their job.
Imagine owning the only supermarket in a town where for the past 10 years, more and more people have come to live there and for the next 10 years, more and more people will arrive. If you owned that supermarket, you’d be rubbing your hands together. Now imagine that someone said that no more houses could be built and some people had to leave. You wouldn’t want that to happen so would disagree. And that’s what the impact will be, less people spending less money is not good for business. You can’t blame them for voting for Remain, but they’re only concerned about themselves.
I’ve also thought about the impact on house prices and rent. In 2000, I remember renting a massive house while I was in between house moves. The rent was £750 per month. Since the bulk addition of several European counties in 2004, rents have consistently increased beyond the rate of inflation. This is easy to understand, more people, not the equal number of more house increases competition for housing and increased rents. Increased rents mean better profits for landlords so people start to buy houses to rent out. Competition for houses increases which increases house prices.
And we all think this is great that the house some of us bought in the 90’s is now worth 3 times what we bought it for, we’re rich! But then I think of my children who can’t afford to buy a house now and I sometimes wonder whether they ever will. I was chatting to a guy at work last week who at the age of 32 had bought his first modest house with a 30 year mortgage. He was so pleased. But that doesn’t sit with me right. I bought my house (3 bed semi) when I was 22 with a 5% deposit and 3.5 times my salary. If the average salary is £22k, £77k doesn’t buy you anything now.
It might be an unpopular thought, but I want house prices to come down so my children can buy a 3 bed semi with a 5% deposit for 3.5 times their salary. And house prices will only come down if there is less competition and more houses built. I’m afraid you can’t achieve that by staying in the EU with an unlimited amount of potential people able to live and work here.
Also, on an economic front, there are too many people telling us that our economy will fall dramatically as we’ll have to negotiate new trade agreements with all the current EU countries. And let’s not forget Obama telling us all that we’ll be at the back of the queue with a trade deal with the USA.
Firstly, we’re a bigger importer than exporter, it’s always been that way. We buy more than we sell so therefore our buying power is more important than our selling power. For sure, some UK goods might be less attractive if import taxes are imposed on them from the EU if we leave but our customer is the world.
We have some of the most prestigious brands in the world. In no particular order, the one’s which come to mind are JCB, Rolls Royce, Burberry, Hotpoint, HSBC, Barclays, Tesco etc etc. I think we can confidently go global. Why do we want the EU to negotiate on our behalf?
And now for immigration. I have no idea why we’re all afraid to even bring up the subject but it does have a big impact and affects us all personally, socially and economically.
Over the past 12 years, since our immigration started to boom, I’ve met a lot of people who have moved to the UK to live and work. In general, I find the people I’ve met to be honest, hard working people with families who intend to make the most of the opportunity of living and working in the UK.
Our service industry is better for it, with many EU migrants choosing to work in many different sectors from coffee shops, to supermarkets. We’ve benefitted from many skills including the main building trades. Many trained nurses and doctors have joined our NHS. No doubt many more have arrived who have filled a skills gap we just don’t have and we, as a society have and are benefitting.
But there’s a problem that comes with this.
As a UK citizen, my personal belief is that the UK is the most attractive country in the EU. If you create a law that says that any citizen can freely choose where in the EU they can live and work, many will naturally choose to move to what they believe will give them the best opportunity to better themselves. Nothing wrong with that, it’s completely normal behaviour.
But if that country does not invest in infrastructure and services at the same rate of population growth two things happen. Things go up in price e.g. houses. And services become overstreched e.g. Doctors, schools, hospitals, roads etc.
The other thing I have an issue with is the type of immigration we have. I am absolutely convinced that we need immigration to thrive and prosper. Not just to ensure we have the right skills but also to make our society richer.
OK, so I can have my car hand washed for £3 just about anywhere now but how many unskilled people do we really need? I don’t think we need any. We have around 2 million of them sitting at home most days looking for a job. The broader problem is that we have created a society that believes not working is a choice and if they can’t be an instant celebrity, they refuse to work for minimum wage. We could solve that problem if we really wanted to.
I also see communities within communities. There are street’s I walk down now that I used to walk down 12 years ago where I only ever hear foreign languages being spoken and European shops selling European goods to European people. That doesn’t feel like an integrated society and I don’t really like it.
I want immigration, but I want to attract people from all over the world who have skills we need and who can add value to the place I live and work. I want those people to choose to come here because they like the values we live by, and want to be part of it.
I also don’t like the laws which are imposed on us that says we have to pay all EU immigrants the same social security benefits as UK citizens when we have no control over where that money is spent. At least the 2 million people sitting at home claiming job seekers allowance are spending that money here, benefitting our own economy but I can’t get my head around how a working father from the EU can claim working families tax credits, family allowance, income support and send as much back to his family in his native country as he chooses. When the minimum wage in the UK is 10 times higher than some eastern European countries and benefits are higher, how can we allow that money to be used in another economy where the cost of living is a fraction of the UK?
Imagine being a call handler in a call centre, a pretty average job on £18k to £20k a year. Now imagine another country you could move to, to do the same job for £200k a year. It’s an opportunity not to be missed. You’d live as cheaply as possible and send every spare penny home.
There are many people who are doing just that in the UAE. But the UAE are a growing country who need and want our skills. They’ve already stated to create laws themselves to ensure emirate people are at the front of the queue for jobs and skills. And there’s no hand outs or public services, everything is private sector and when you have no work, it’s goodbye.
I completely understand why Churchill had his vision for a “United States of Europe” after world war two. When created, the common market was brilliant and has served us well over the decades. But nothing lasts forever and things change.
I don’t remember agreeing to or voting for all the things which have been imposed on me. And I certainly don’t like what’s ahead of me either.
So on balance I’m voting to leave the EU. I accept it will have an economic impact. My house may reduce in value, some people may lose their jobs, the £ may fall in value so holidays might cost a bit more.
But if my children can buy a house and pay off a mortgage within their working life, if their children can go to a school that they choose, if I can get an appointment at the doctors or hospital treatment and not sit in hours of traffic every day then I’ll be happy with that.
And in the future, when the UK is back to being the greatest country in the world that attracts the most talented people from all over the world who create the industries and brands that create job opportunities for the future generations, I can look back and feel that I did the right thing.
Anon.

Last edited:
Quite apart from nameless other problems if we remain part of the EU come the referendum then it has been reported the unelected faceless ones would be in charge of our military forces.
Can we seriously believe that our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines should be sent into danger by a body over which we have no control, and which answers to none of us?”

If you don't think we are being conned take a good look at these pictures.
It looks to me that there are 12 people in total in Kent and Sussex that want to stay
In the top photo, “Kent Conservatives In” activists pose for a picture as members of the local Tory Remain campaign.
In the second photo, “Sussex Conservatives In” activists pose for a similar snap.
Notice anything odd?
The pavement is the giveaway – the photos were taken in exactly the same place, they just swapped the banner. Look closer and you see the exact same activists appear in each photo, they just swapped places so they appear for the cameras in a different order. One way of disguising the fact no one wants to campaign for you

EU 1.jpg

Reactions: Pat
Quite apart from nameless other problems if we remain part of the EU come the referendum then it has been reported the unelected faceless ones would be in charge of our military forces.
Can we seriously believe that our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines should be sent into danger by a body over which we have no control, and which answers to none of us?”

Is this another reference to the EU comission being unelected? They are nominated by the elected government of each member nation. You and I don't get a vote on the individual, but we do vote on who nominates them. Same as our prime minister. The public didn't vote on John Major being made prime minister in 1990 for example. We never vote on critical positions like the chancellor of the exchequor. These positions are voted on by the people we do elect. Just like the EU comission.

Whilst I broadly agree with the sentiments of Chas' earlier post - I think some of the thinking is misguided; for example the brands quoted may well be "British" in origin but who actually owns them now?

Rolls Royce is (wholly) owned by BMW - last time I looked they were German. Tesco is shareholder owned and the main shareholders are non-UK Banks. Similar arguments can be made of the other named brands, with JCB probably being the only exception - though it is still classed as a "multi-national".

Similar arguments can be made for various industry sectors - Utilities, Finance, Pharma, Defence, Manufacturing, Media etc. Who are the key players in those sectors and are they truly "British"?

Health is one major exception as the NHS is truly British (and probably one of its greatest assets IMHO) but again it is totally dependant on immigration for its (continued) existence.

I'm still unsure whether in or out is right decision........:confounded:

Back