Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Evoque and Range Rover keyless entry defeated

Should have gone to specsavers Clive ;)

Ha ha ha Mark, nice one!

Just to clarify the matter for those who can't be bothered to scroll up....

This owner's the cute one!

image.jpg

On the theme of the thread, it seems to me that technology development is always a step ahead of the practical application of it. In the early 80s, when working at Landrover, I used to use a Rover SD1 to drive around the factory and I remember the damn thing always had a habit of simply failing, for one reason or another. It was new, but if you pressed all 4 window switches at the same time, the fuse would blow.

Ok, no big deal, and how many times would all 4 windows be activated at the same time in practice? But what a dumb situation on a car that at the time was (or should have been) at the cutting edge of technology. It was an utter sham, because Rover were pearing every cost to the absolute bone, and beyond, in those days.

New ideas are worth a fortune to car manufacturers looking for that slim lead over their competitors. Guys like gadgets, so it's not surprising that the slightest hint of something new (like keyless entry) will set the race on to get it up and running in a product, usually before the manufacture of the idea is properly tried and tested.

Cris is right, we'd all be Flintstones if technology didn't lead the way, but my old 80 is very basic and I like it that way for that reason. All these ECUs and stuff going wrong as evidenced by this forum is testimony that the more they're used the more likely the truck will needlessly fail at some point.

I have electric windows, sunroof and a cigarette lighter in mine, that's the extent of the fancy stuff. A motor driven steering wheel height adjuster, I ask you, it's just a ridiculous waste of world resources IMHO.

Interior lights that work would be a nice touch though :lol:

I wonder if / when the day will come when things swing back the other way. Perhaps they will make them more modular so that the end-user can fix and replace. Might not happen seeing as our disposable society shows little sign of changing. My 23yo sister in law has a mini which has an intermittent fault. EML comes on and it goes into limp mode. Codes vary from alternator to crank position sensor to ABS. She wants a new car before of it. (I'm quite against it as she has little respect for them...)

On a note with the bmw issue, you didn't have to break the window to get in, you could jam a screw driver in the drivers door lock and turn it so the windows go down, interior sensors had a blind spot meaning you get to the obd port without triggering the alarm. A device was then used to code a new key. Was a certain age range and not all models.

A software patch was introduced to code out the door lock/window open function and to alter the software of the control units to prevent the device programming a key. (Done free of charge and we do quite a few, it's Something we check for and do it if needed, most customers don't know about it)

I don't mind technology going wrong, keeps me in a job :lol:
We see more and more keys stolen by burglary now as they're harder to steal without the keys

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I find that bizarre. The fact that when the alarm is armed that all the systems still work as if everything is normal. I write software for a living and when someone is not authenticated then you should not be allowed to any anything. Anything else and I would get shot for my stupidity. That is not a bug it's an amazing incompetent design flaw.

I wonder if / when the day will come when things swing back the other way. Perhaps they will make them more modular so that the end-user can fix and replace. Might not happen seeing as our disposable society shows little sign of changing. My 23yo sister in law has a mini which has an intermittent fault. EML comes on and it goes into limp mode. Codes vary from alternator to crank position sensor to ABS. She wants a new car before of it. (I'm quite against it as she has little respect for them...)

I very much doubt they will give the end user power to repair Crispin , as i see it its more likely in future cars will come with a subscription , maybe 15 years ago my sister sold her Peugeot because she found out the engine check light was programmed to turn on at service intervals and only a main dealer could turn it off , and of course they would only do it if she paid them an extortionate rate for servicing . Few places had diagnostic machines back home in them days . GM actually sold support subscriptions (paid monthly i think) then hardwired an onboard computer into the dash of Hummers , seriously the onstar device is a touch button diagnostic machine that can tell the exact location of the vehicle anywhere on the planet and offer fault codes . You can't just pull the fuse either it has 3 live feeds and its own internal battery .

Advise your Sis to buy an Austin Mini the technology in them is infallible :lol:

I find that bizarre. The fact that when the alarm is armed that all the systems still work as if everything is normal. I write software for a living and when someone is not authenticated then you should not be allowed to any anything. Anything else and I would get shot for my stupidity. That is not a bug it's an amazing incompetent design flaw.

Basically the CAS (Car access control unit) Is designed so our systems can communicate with the car without the ignition on, that was the back door in and someone figured out how to use that to code a blank key. The new software sorts that back door. The opening windows with the key in lock helped getting around the alarm, that was a comfort feature which can still be done via the remote only, car is unlocked by the remote at that point.

I had a MK 6 golf. The heater/ac control lettering was so small you could not read it! The brakes were so sharp you dare not use them! Now I have the MK 7 they have put big lettering and sensible brakes but the ignition key is at such a weird angle you twist your wrist bones every time you turn the key. They can't even get basic things right.

Back