Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Family rescued from flooded pajero

I too did a fair bit of training in white water many moons ago. Ferry gliding and using surface flows to their best advantage, using eddys as relief zones for resting and turns and all the rest of it. I do remember very well being sucked into under currents which are so easy to miss or under-estimate. Difficult to walk rapids, but we spent ages before a run strategizing it to the best of our ability.

I had only one life threatening experience and that was being sucked under from the stern. The buoyancy of our canoes was immense, but no match for the power of those things. I got my feet tangled in the apron which tore, and went down with the canoe. A moment I'd rather forget to be honest. It's a dangerous but fantastic sport, like many others.

That sounds very much like my thrashing in a weir; I'd dropped into it, and thought I could get to the eddy at the end, after one roll (enough to get some air) I got pulled out (or popped my deck) of the kayak, so I was then sharing that space with a 200 odd kg kayak that was flailing around with me, as well as a whole load of trees. Tried to tuck up into a ball to get flushed out and it but that didn't work, so a big starfish kept me on top and got me to the edge. It's very surreal under water when you think you might drown...

For me, the snorkel is an insurance policy for the engine in case I get it wrong. Ideally I'd rather not bother with water beyond wheelarch level.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back