Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fcx EXPEDITION SAFE

Waay overpriced. Machine mart and B&Q do the same basic thing for about £30. We fitted one to Matt's 80 a month or so ago. Went in a treat.

Chris

The advantage of the fcx one is that it has a lip, so you can drop it into a hole and bolt it in, and the rubber seal keeps water out.

Was there a thread on the one you fitted? Would be interested to see what you did, although my 95 will be different I am looking for inspiration. I have bought a steel safe with a key, its a simple rectangle and I was going to drill it and bolt it appropriately, but not sure where!

Pete

That's no different to the one we put in. It had a lip too. OK couple of small holes to fill, but for an extra £60 I'd rather fill a hole.

Chris

So the Machine Mart one - apart from the lip only being on the ends and not all the way around, there is no seal and you had to 'fill' a few holes - it's exactly the same .... :naughty:

No point in you driving a Landcruiser, Chris, a Suzuki Vitara would do you .... ;)

I really don't mind constructive critism, infact I encourage it, but let's have a level playing field eh ?

Matt learn to read, eh? I didn't say it was the SAME thing. I said it was the same basic thing. But for a third of the stupid price. £90 for a lockable box? You have more money than sense mate. The one we fitted had a lip all the way around and sealed beautifully.
Sorry about constructive criticism, I didn't know that you were selling these.

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
That's no different to the one we put in

Chris

I can read fine thanks Chris.

Could you post up the item you are talking about because I can't find a box for £30 with a lip all the way around and an inner seal ...

Do you know what Matt, if I could be bothered I would. But I can't. But when I put a safe in mine, it won't be one at £90. But strangely it will be just as secure. Odd that isn't it. Box, door, lock, key. Yep. That's a safe.

By all means post stuff on here that is useful and interesting, but accept the fact that there are alternatives. You want Rolls Royce, fine. But a lot of people overland on a budget and if they felt that they had to spend that much on a safe it could be at the expense of something more important. Cheap tyres v expensive tyres - there's a difference. Cheap fridge v branded fridge - reliability issues maybe. Cheap safe, expensive safe. Nope not seeing it.

Don't know why you are being so precious about this item Matt. If you had been selling it, it would have been rude of me to have 'undercut' your item. But you aren't. This happens all the time on here; someone posts an item and someone finds a cheaper alternative.

Sure, very nice. But how is it 'expedition' standard. Is it custom made with the Land Cruiser range in mind. Or do you cut a hole and drop it in?

Hey everyone, Matt has found a really nice floor safe. If you are looking for a safe, this one would be a very good option to consider.

There you go. All sorted.

Chris

Sorry to have upset you Chris

Actually that is my website and I am selling them.

I wasn't being precious, I was genuinely interested in your alternative because if it is as you describe then I'm clearly wasting my time stocking that particular item.

Regards

Matt

Hi Peter,

PM me you address and I'll look at the shipping charge and see what I can do - Cheers

Chris said:
Don't know why you are being so precious about this item Matt. If you had been selling it, it would have been rude of me to have 'undercut' your item. But you aren't. This happens all the time on here; someone posts an item and someone finds a cheaper alternative.

Referee, me thinks an unreserved apology is called for ! :whistle:

An apology would be nice .....

As I said, if Chris can post up 'his safe' I would be very interested to see it.

Although my safes are 'expensive', the price not only reflects the quality but also economies of scale - Chris, of all people, I thought would understand the amount of time (and therefore cost) that goes into fabricating an item like this.

As a fledgling company I'm unfortunately not in the position to have thousands of these manufactured at a time to bring the cost down to a level that Chris suggests, the fcxEXPEDITION SAFE is made for me in batches of only 10 at a time.

However, until proven otherwise, I still beleive I have a unique product that has been designed specifically as an Expedition safe with a lip that goes all the way around to enable the safe to be fitted into the floor and sealed all the way around, a seal on the door to stop ingress of dust, water etc and no holes in the box itself.

Well thanks for the offer, but I'm not after an apology.

We have spoken off line and Matt has declined my offer. As far as I'm concerned that's that. I'm surprised that you have posted that last comment Matt given my offer. You posted a link to what looked like an item from the web - which was in fact from your website. I didn't think that was apparent and made a comment that it was expensive and there were cheaper alternatives. Not that the item was cheaper elsewhere. Something that I said I would not have done if I'd known you were making the sale. Once you made it clear that it was your item, I sent you a PM.

I am not selling safes. I am not going to be selling safes. In fact I don't even have a business. I just happen to have put two safes into Landcruisers myself. Very successfully and a lot cheaper. But the item was NOT identical. The same in that it was a safe, with in my view a much better locking system than the one shown on yours by the way, a very similar size and configuration, but not as big a 'lip' around it as yours which on the ones I did actually made installation into a contoured floor very easy.

So there we are. Matt has a website selling 4x4 related bits. Please do go and look at it and give him some business if you can just like all the other members who post on here with their own websites. If you are selling a particular item then don't be shy in saying that you are selling it. Similarly as we have discussed in the past, if someone is selling an item privately, it's considered rude to point out that there are cheaper alternatives or that it's too highly priced.

Just one thought in terms of product development though. The safe is nicely sealed around the top, but I don't know just how effective that is. Should you have a major leak in the vehicle and the safe fills with water, having a bung in the bottom might be handy to drain the water out.

Chris

Hi All,

I think there are valid points from both sides.
However, in these days, every penny needs to count.
I think if I was going to fit a safe, which I am not, then I have to agree that I would choose a £35 one to a £95 one.
The more expensive is probably better, but I don't think it would take the robbers much longer to jimmy open anyway.

Gra.

Graham said:
Hi All,
I think if I was going to fit a safe, which I am not, then I have to agree that I would choose a £35 one to a £95 one. The more expensive is probably better, but I don't think it would take the robbers much longer to jimmy open anyway.
Gra.
I think the most valid point would be, how secure are the safes in question, I won't be fitting one either, I have a hidey-hole on my 80 you wouldn't find without dismantling the whole truck.
For obvious reasons on a public forum I won't say where ;)

These do fit particularly well in the passenger footwell (80 series). However, if you have sliders fitted it can be s bit tricky and it's well worth measuring up carefully first.

I thought about putting one in the boot now that the spare isn't under there but it would be covered by the built in drawers which might be good and secure but I'd imagine it being a pain to get to. Perhaps fitting one down the side of the drawers by the wheel tub might be a good option.

Chris

Back