Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fender Flares

Shayne

Stuff the flares mate they do a portal axle conversion for the 80.

Hmmmmmmm

Not a fan of the ‘bolt on’ look personally. Assuming they aimed at the off-roading fraternity the high density polyethylene versions certainly make more sense than GRP.

Shayne

Stuff the flares mate they do a portal axle conversion for the 80.

Hmmmmmmm
I wonder how they cope without reversing the drive, must be a chain I suppose. They look like they add about 100mm offset which surely must put the steering geometry out and add a lot of extra stresses, not to mention needing huge flares to stop the tyres plastering the side of the truck with mud. I’d be interested to see how a well used truck faired after using these for a few years.

Aside from that, the ground clearance would be amazing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Most portals are actually gear driven.

They also reduce the stress on most parts due to the reduction in gearing. However I am unsure on the steering geometry

Most portals are actually gear driven.

They also reduce the stress on most parts due to the reduction in gearing. However I am unsure on the steering geometry
Yes, my first thought was gears but I can’t see enough room in the case for a third gear to reverse the direction reversal that two gears would create.
If there’s s reduction gear surely the torque gets increased and stresses, particularly torsion on the axles get higher? Loading on the axle case ends/steering bearings must surely be increased by the extra leverage needed to swing weighty wheels on a greater arc rather than spin on their central point? Plus the weight of the vehicle is no longer directly down through the steering bearings but has a 100 mm or so offset putting leverage outward on the lower and inward on the upper bearings. Maybe the 80 can survive such stresses but it has to take its toll I would have thought.

Back