Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

first timer

G

Hi All
I am the proud owner of an imported 90 series Prado which is without doubt the most reliable car I have ever owned.In three years it has been solid as a rock. Although I have seen a few similar ones here and there I have never seen another quite like it. It has the logo 'Active Vacation' on the rear doors which appears to be factory applied. Can anybody give me any information on that. It was origanally supplied in Japan.
As all the instructions for the car are obviously in japanese I'm afraid that during one of my fiddling sessions I've managed to put the lights out on the inclinometer, compass ect any help on that would be dearly appreciated. Its a 3.0 ltr Diesel TZ

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the list.
I suspect that the 'Active Vacation' relates to some holiday company as
opposed to a factory thing - I have seen similar etchings on another
imported Landcruiser. A brief google does indicate a tour company with
that name who may well operate in Japan.
What year is it? We have a couple of other 90 series owners on the
list who I hope will chip in.
In the meantime could it be a fuse/bulb issue? or have you be been
playing behind the dash and inadvertantly loosened a plug somewhere?
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift

Thanks for your reply and your thought that a spot of googling might yield some results as to what exactly a Toyota Active Vaction might be. I decided to do a spot myself and found evidence that Toyota not only released a 90 series AV but a 4.2 VX and an 80 series as well. It seems it is some kind of special only relased in the japanese market. If this is just some kind of badge engineering or not i'm yet to discover. I'm kind of hoping that there maybe something a little more substantial than just the name lurking in the spec. Anyway I shall continue to ask and see what comes up.
As for my fiddling with the compass console it was only pressing buttons nothing other than that. I did notice however in an earlier posting that one of the models had an on off swith for the lights on their console. I was kind of hoping that in might have been a monkey with a type writer situation that helped me to turn out the lights. Any illuminating ideas would be more than welcome ,as I havn't got a clue what all that wonderfull stuff in the top console does, but if it would only shine the pretty lights again that would go a long way to making this particular monkey very happy.
----- Original Message -----
To: [Email address removed]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 6:05 AM
Subject: [ELCO] first timer
Hi All
I am the proud owner of an imported 90 series Prado which is without doubt the most reliable car I have ever owned.In three years it has been solid as a rock. Although I have seen a few similar ones here and there I have never seen another quite like it. It has the logo 'Active Vacation' on the rear doors which appears to be factory applied. Can anybody give me any information on that. It was origanally supplied in Japan.
As all the instructions for the car are obviously in japanese I'm afraid that during one of my fiddling sessions I've managed to put the lights out on the inclinometer, compass ect any help on that would be dearly appreciated. Its a 3.0 ltr Diesel TZ

I'll take that as a don't know then. Anyway thanks for your help chaps, keep cruising or whatever it is you do.
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:31 AM
Subject: Re: [ELCO] first timer
Thanks for your reply and your thought that a spot of googling might yield some results as to what exactly a Toyota Active Vaction might be. I decided to do a spot myself and found evidence that Toyota not only released a 90 series AV but a 4.2 VX and an 80 series as well. It seems it is some kind of special only relased in the japanese market. If this is just some kind of badge engineering or not i'm yet to discover. I'm kind of hoping that there maybe something a little more substantial than just the name lurking in the spec. Anyway I shall continue to ask and see what comes up.
As for my fiddling with the compass console it was only pressing buttons nothing other than that. I did notice however in an earlier posting that one of the models had an on off swith for the lights on their console. I was kind of hoping that in might have been a monkey with a type writer situation that helped me to turn out the lights. Any illuminating ideas would be more than welcome ,as I havn't got a clue what all that wonderfull stuff in the top console does, but if it would only shine the pretty lights again that would go a long way to making this particular monkey very happy.
Hi All

Mark,
Just read this thread. I have a set of Nine toy. manuals here for
the Prado. Is your accesory meter working apart from the lights, Temp,
trip, etc?, and is it the one mounted in the middle of, and at the top
of, the dash.
Regards, Clive.

Hi Clive.
Thanks for trying to help.
Yes everything seems to be working fine but to be honest I don't know what
all the functions are for. I'm sure it's something very simple that's caused
the problem. Me !
Is there another fuse box other than the one under the bonnet as there
dosn't seem to be enough fuses in there for such a complicated accessory
laden car.
To: <[Email address removed]>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:57 AM
Mark,
Just read this thread. I have a set of Nine toy. manuals here for
the Prado. Is your accesory meter working apart from the lights, Temp,
trip, etc?, and is it the one mounted in the middle of, and at the top
of, the dash.
Regards, Clive.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mark,
The thing has about Six functions. There is time, altitude,
Compass, trip meter and a couple more. I found it usefull, I used the
compass a lot in cities but you have to calibrate it, I can try and
remember this if you need it. I think there was a way of turning off
the lights by pressing and holding one of the buttons.
Regards, Clive.

Hi Clive,
I have used the compass myself and it was suprisingly useful, but now i
have sat nav so it's the stern lady that tells me where to go. Any idea
which button you hold to turn it back on again ?
Regards Mark
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:52 PM
Mark,
The thing has about Six functions. There is time, altitude,
Compass, trip meter and a couple more. I found it usefull, I used the
compass a lot in cities but you have to calibrate it, I can try and
remember this if you need it. I think there was a way of turning off
the lights by pressing and holding one of the buttons.
Regards, Clive.

Mark,
I cant remember that, I have the service manuals but not the handbook.
Regards, Clive.
On 1/14/06, Mark Nelson <[Email address removed]> wrote:

Ok thanks for trying.
Take care.
Mark
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:52 PM
Mark,
I cant remember that, I have the service manuals but not the handbook.
Regards, Clive.
On 1/14/06, Mark Nelson <[Email address removed]> wrote:

Finally got the lights working, thanks for trying anyway guys. Have managed to track down an Amazon Av in Pakistan,an 80 in Japan and of course my own 90, but nothing further yet, anybody else seen one ? has anybody got anyone to talk to at Toyota Japan ?
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:31 AM
Hi All

Mark

I did a bit of Googling me'self, and it's Active Vacation (not Vaction).
It was an oddball built in 1995/6 with curtains, a fold-out bed in the
back and a tiny sink. I found a faint picture showing a module over the
right rear wheel but it was too blurred to see much.

Here is a description from an Ozzie sales website;

"Comments: Active Vacation model with boot module which converts into a
double bed. Comes complete with a removable cooker and sink unit !!!
amazing !!!! This tough 4WD vehicle can get you into the middle of
nowhere and then you can have all your creature comforts when you arrive
!!! All the toys and in perfect condition. Rare opportunity."

So do you have a bed, cooker and sink in the back?

I have slept in the back of mine a few times and with the back seats
folded up it was OK, but hardly spacious. A double bed would be pushing
it - perhaps it means "double" the "men" that are used to calibrate
tents (as in 2 "man" tent).

Christopher Bell
Sent: 18 January 2006 17:35
=09
=09
Finally got the lights working, thanks for trying anyway guys.
Have managed to track down an Amazon Av in Pakistan,an 80 in Japan and
of course my own 90, but nothing further yet, anybody else seen one ?
has anybody got anyone to talk to at Toyota Japan ?

Hi Chris
No bed or sink I'm afraid but have spent some very smashing nights under the moon with a double air bed and sleeping bag in the back. It's got all the toys on it that you would expect a TZ to have though, the amazon i saw was also lacking in washing and sleeping facilites. I bought the car because it out performed my Disco in every deptment exect perhaps mud plugging but there was nothing in that that couldn't be explained by my lack of bottle.
I am currently looking eastward for a 120 to import can't even consider paying uk prices. I'm converted to Toyota!!!
Thanks for looking take care.
Mark
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 5:55 PM
Subject: RE: [ELCO] first timer
Mark
I did a bit of Googling me'self, and it's Active Vacation (not Vaction). It was an oddball built in 1995/6 with curtains, a fold-out bed in the back and a tiny sink. I found a faint picture showing a module over the right rear wheel but it was too blurred to see much.
Here is a description from an Ozzie sales website;
"Comments: Active Vacation model with boot module which converts into a double bed. Comes complete with a removable cooker and sink unit !!! amazing !!!! This tough 4WD vehicle can get you into the middle of nowhere and then you can have all your creature comforts when you arrive !!! All the toys and in perfect condition. Rare opportunity."
So do you have a bed, cooker and sink in the back?
I have slept in the back of mine a few times and with the back seats folded up it was OK, but hardly spacious. A double bed would be pushing it - perhaps it means "double" the "men" that are used to calibrate tents (as in 2 "man" tent).
Christopher Bell
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On Behalf Of Mark Nelson
Sent: 18 January 2006 17:35
Finally got the lights working, thanks for trying anyway guys. Have managed to track down an Amazon Av in Pakistan,an 80 in Japan and of course my own 90, but nothing further yet, anybody else seen one ? has anybody got anyone to talk to at Toyota Japan ?

Back