Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

First trip off-road in my 80-Series with brother's LR Discovery 3

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, it was high time I tried out the 80's off-road ability and it's new suspension, so I set out for a little trip with my brother in his LR Discovery 3 this weekend, round some local woods that are managed and used by a local off-roading club. Whilst there are plenty of bomb holes to get stuck in, we were more interested in exploring some of the trails and navigating through some of the tight tree-lined routes. So, here's a few shots:

11407044_10155618443665231_4231826099112266971_n.jpg
Landcruiser making the Disco look a bit small!

10156123_10155618449170231_6941350767501288078_n.jpg
10801581_10155618448715231_4235799435768226860_n.jpg
11428061_10155618449015231_1105153411955800710_n.jpg
Letting the Disco lead (as he only had a rear recovery point, so would have to be dragged out backwards if he were to get stuck!)

11351142_10206001794796659_8896594127606002669_n.jpg
OK, time to test it out with one muddy hole!! Of course it handled everything in it's stride, barely noticed any obstacle I pointed it at.

11391308_10155647159185548_527127945508317722_n.jpg
...and of course, a very thorough clean afterwards!! Nice shiny clean chassis, bodywork, etc. - won't be taking it anywhere that muddy again soon, so to keep it rust free it had a very through clean to make sure everything stays rust-free!

Must say, the 80 was very impressive; yes it has decent BFG A/T tyres, but I just stuck it in 2nd gear low range (manual car, centre diff locked) and it just drove over and around everything, be it slippy mud, steep ascents/descents, everything. However, if anything the Discovery 3 was even more impressive as it went pretty much everywhere I did on Pirelli Scorpion road tyres, and only flashed the traction control light once! So both of us had a great day out :)

Last edited:
Nice pics. Looks like a good day out.

it may be me, but your pics don't appear in line, only as links to images.

Pics look great to me , no surprises about the way the 80 coped , and tell your bro proper 4x4's don't nag (flashing light) they just get on with it :lol:

Nice pics. Looks like a good day out.

it may be me, but your pics don't appear in line, only as links to images.

They come up fine on my iPad, not as links but captioned photos.

A good day out by the look of it, too!

Do you have a CDL switch on the dash Mike? If yes, IMO it's a good move to disconnect the auto CDL when in low. I love having low range with open diffs, and when you want the CDL, just press the button.

I'll never understand why Mr T put an auto CDL on low, it defeats all objectives of choice, considering what a great job Toyota did with the 80 series.

I think I read somewhere it was to spread the torque more evenly through the drivetrain so as not to stress it too much in L.

Thanks guys! Was fun :)

Mark - I originally had them as attachments, but they should display properly now?

Shayne - it only flashed once, I'd allow that given the slippy mud and rutted paths we were on! ;)

Clive - mine does not have the CDL switch, so just automatically engages with low range. To be honest, having the centre diff locked in low range doesn't bother me, it works well and as StarCruiser suggests, it spreads the torque more evenly through the drivetrain. The only thing it would be useful for is to lock it in hi-range, potentially?!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think I read somewhere it was to spread the torque more evenly through the drivetrain so as not to stress it too much in L.

There very well may be something in that SC, but when climbing steep ascents on grass for example, I found the locked CDL a distinct disadvantage, causing some tyre slippage unnecessarily.

With open diffs, the load seems more evenly distributed, IMO.

Your comment will stay with me though. Of course, when the going gets tough and the likelihood of one wheel spinning out is high, the CDL gets switched in instinctively, so I don't think I'm doing it any harm.

Thanks for the response :thumbup:

While posting #5 above, I had in the back of my mind that this would, in fact, have (probably) been one of those Toyota belt and braces approaches. A bit like having heater plugs in a direct injection Diesel engine, for example. I would be very surprised if you didn't have to go a long way to break something by putting low range torque through the centre diff in open mode.

Mike, you a member of Burnham? I've been with them for about 10yrs now. If you are we must have met sometime. I didn't know there was another 80 in the club.

Mike, you a member of Burnham? I've been with them for about 10yrs now. If you are we must have met sometime. I didn't know there was another 80 in the club.

Hi Chas, I am, on and off! Haven't had a 4x4 for the past year or two so haven't been up there for a while until recently. Previously been there in a RR Classic and I think I took my G4 Challenge Range Rover Sport once too! :)

Hi Chas, I am, on and off! Haven't had a 4x4 for the past year or two so haven't been up there for a while until recently. Previously been there in a RR Classic and I think I took my G4 Challenge Range Rover Sport once too! :)

Come up Wednesday 1st July, just over a week. We will be putting the final touches to a trip to Wales on the 3rd July.

Come up Wednesday 1st July, just over a week. We will be putting the final touches to a trip to Wales on the 3rd July.

Unfortunately I'm rarely around midweek due to work commitments, so I've only even been to the Tring days to be honest! But will be along to another one of those I'm sure :)

What does your 80 look like? Well, the only other one I guess!

Unfortunately I'm rarely around midweek due to work commitments, so I've only even been to the Tring days to be honest! But will be along to another one of those I'm sure :)

What does your 80 look like? Well, the only other one I guess!
My 80 is the cosmetically challenged one (as you say the only one) I don't go to Tring, I don't want to get it dirty. To be honest I don't have much interest in mud driving, preferring the long trek.

My 80 is the cosmetically challenged one (as you say the only one) I don't go to Tring, I don't want to get it dirty. To be honest I don't have much interest in mud driving, preferring the long trek.

Yeah I'm not into real mud plugging either, but was enjoyable going round the trails through the woods and I kind of like the tight, technical sections too! Only went through a couple of bits of deep mud/water, but I've no intention of knackering my truck offroading it, it's far too good condition for that! :)

It's not that I dislike the driving in mud but with the aircon rad, engine rad and the intercooler rad all close together if the truck has been through some deep stuff it's a pig of a job to clean the mud out.

Back