Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting a rear car wheel carrier...

srmnm

Country Flag
ireland
Fitting a rear bar wheel carrier...

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase and fit a TOYOTA 80 SERIES LANDCRUISER STEEL REAR BAR SINGLE WHEEL CARRIER. I can't post an e-bay link until I have posted 15 times so you'll imagination is necessary ;-) (Also, I can't post in the dedicated e-bay forum yet either which would have been my first choice of home for this question, but considering the 'All other Mods' is home to someone who built a fantastic one of these, here will do for now I hope)

Just wondering if removing the existing back bumper and fitting this piece is a tricky task. The space in my garage is quite limited and my tool collection as I only recently moved back to Australia.

My questions:
What tools are required to remove the old bumper and add the new steel bar?
Are these generally labour intensive tasks?

Thank you for your help!
Will

Last edited:
I think this is the way to go:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-8...78?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c998103c2.

Took a good look at my rear bumper too for any other options. Seems like some holes have been drilled but there is no access from the other side:
IMG_4626.JPG
Some electrics to connect to a trailer there too that need to be dealt with.
But I guess trying to remove the rear bumper will be the best way to test out whether I can do it myself!

So there is a wiring to connect to a trailer, so I would imagine that this was pulling something big not so long ago... so i think ill explore keeping bumper as is and see what can be done with current real bumper... to be continued...

Hi will.
No response yet from anyone so I thought id respond.

Maybe a question like this would have been a little better researched first??
The rear bumper you talk about is actually the Chasie. This part carnt be unbolted.
The carriers you have seen will bolt onto the rear of the Chasie.
A few on here have fabricated bumpers themselves but a bolt on would probably be your best option.
Hope this helps.

That does help. Thanks.
Have been doing continous research since purchasing last week, its just my vehicle is starting to stink because a spare tyre lives in the back. Most 80 series ive researched look quite different in this area and I havent had much luck finding an exploded view of what I have and how these parts fit together. Either way, ill continue my research, post it here and hopefully help the next person who is inexperienced and needs help.

As Karl points out the middle bit of the bumper is the chassis of the truck; the corner pieces simply bolt on to that & are easily removed with spanners & hammers.

The rear bar that you posted will then just bolt in place if its been properly designed for the 80.

I remember a thread on IH8MUD when someone made a bolt on swing out carrier that fitted to the chassis but that's a load of phaffing around... That bar at 649 AUS dollars is 300 UK pounds & seems good value on the face of it...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey Will, Chris here from Oz as well mate.
If I may offer some advice and hopefully save you some grief, that bar is not legal in Oz in its current format.
When adding a rear wheel carrier like this in Oz, you must have rear lights across the bar. This is due to a technicality with vision of the standard rear lights from a 45 degree angle. You will end up getting defected with that bar in its current state.
You could add lights, but the high lift jack T slot may get in the way, plus drilling holes into the thin powder coat will allow rust to creep under it and before long the coating will flake off.
Unfortunately mate there is a reason that example is so cheap. Looking at the welds and the porosity suggest the care gone into making this bar. Those import jobs are a bit iffy to say the least.
Save your hard-earned and find another option mate. There are plenty out there. Cheers

You could just fit the body mounted OEM style carrier. That doesn't involve the bumper at all.

If you fit the OEM style one do not buy the cheap nasty one, they are rubbish, get a genuine one or don't bother you will be disappointed

Back