Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fluids & Filters & Fuels & Freon*

stuzbot

*maybe

OK. I know this is likely to open a can of worms, as there are people who swear by the necessity for using all manner of specific and arcane formulas, when it comes to filling your motor's various orifices. And there are equally as many people who have had half a million trouble free miles from just bunging in whatever was to hand at the time. But here goes....

Obviously the first thing I'm going to do in the coming week is change all my fluids and filters. So some questions

OIL --I've always used 15w/40 in all my motors. Most of which are around the same vintage as my Land Cruiser [ie. 90s - 2000]. My thinking being that even a good engine of that vintage will have some wear so a slightly more viscous oil will fill those widening tolerances better. I know Toyota recommends 5W/40. But that would be from factory fresh and seems very thin to me, for a 20 year old engine. Would 10W/40 be about right as a compromise?

Then there's the old Dino vs Semi vs Synth debate. I was running a quality German 100% mineral oil in my VW van, as consensus in VW land [or as near consensus as you can get on these things] was that the old VW diesel engines were built to run on dino oil, so use what VW intended. Thing is, I have two unopened 5l cans of that left. So I'm thinking it wouldn't do any harm to use them for my first oil change on the Cruiser --almost like a flush and then, after a couple of thousand miles, change again for a fully synth. Thoughts?

OIL FILTER --any special requirements there? Again, coming from VW land, the recommended thing was to use a particular Mann filter which had an internal non-return valve which made for better lubrication at startup by stopping the oil draining out of the filter. Any similar advice in LC land?

COOLANT --What recommendations there? I've got a 5l pot of Prestone [again left over from my VW days] which I keep for emergency coolant top ups. It's marketed as being suitable to mix with any other types; red, blue, etc. Presuming it'll be fine for a similar purpose in the LC. But what are the recommendations for the main coolant to use when doing a complete flush?

TRANSMISSION OIL --Auto box all new to me. So what are people using for that?

DIFF OIL / TRANSFER BOX --What are people using there?

That should cover most of the 'stuff' that people get evangelical about. With other things like posh diesel vs. supermarket vs. supermarket + additives, I shall carry over my existing prejudices from previous van ownership.

FREON -- [I presume that's what it is]. My AirCon's not working. So I presume I need it re-gassed. However, this also raises the question as to whether it's not working now because it has a leak. Is there any way to test this without actually refilling it. Or do you just find out by getting it re-gassed and then listening to your money hissing away into the atmosphere?

Air Con....
Take it to someone who knows what they are doing.... they will suck out any remaining gas and see if the system holds a vacuum....if it does then they will refill the system with the correct amount of gas and oil ....most probably in your case R134a ... should be about a 60-100 quid job if no leaks

Nice one Shayne. You've pre-empted my next question. I'd found the capacities for the various fluids covered by the engine repair manual and was about to ask if there was a table anywhere, giving similar for the non-engine fluids.

I think the air con regassing can wait a bit then. I didn't realise it would cost that much. Living in Manchester I'd be lucky to need it more than half a dozen times in the average year, anyway.

[EDITED for swipe-to-typos]

Last edited:
Most large oil suppliers/brands have a vehicle lookup you can use, this will list all the fluids and amounts. The ones here in Australia will lookup based on your rego so it's quite easy.

This is for a KZJ95R Prado, think it'll be similar to yours with the exception of LSD additive which you won't need (Aus domestic market 90 series came with LSD as standard).

I'm not a Castrol fanboy though!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1623051623085.png
Some of this in steering before the rack starts leaking might well prevent it .

Back