Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Focke Wulf 190 V Spitfire

Amazing Higgy, thanks. The Spitfire sounds like it has the later Griffin engine rather than the smaller Merlin. The Merlin has the nicer sound I think, more resonance. I think the ground crew has to turn those radial engines (Wulf) by hand as the engine has no sump and the engine might be filled with oil if there's feedback overnight.

Reminds me of my cousin killed in the war as a flying instructor. What a waste, passed out as top cadet from Cranwell only 22 years old.

There’s a bloke near us with a Harley that sounds like that 190. Right noisy b*****d it is.

I was watching a thing about the spitfire the other night, the pilots reckoned the later bigger engined ones, distinguishable by the multi bladed prop, weren’t as nice to fly. The engine outgrew the airframe.

We are so fortunate, or at least have been, to be beneath spitfires on a regular basis living near Goodwood where they set out from. It is, without question a wonderful sound and shape. That an engineered object could become such a legend so quickly I find quite remarkable.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I see its not everyone,s 'cup 'o' tea'.. But we have them fly over the Marina on a regular basis, We are right next to the Royal st George Golf club.. And if its a members birthday they club together and buy a fly by from the Spitfire memorial. It lasts about 20mins with mock dog fights and acrobatics...I just stand there with me Mug 'o' Tea and me gob wide open..... Mint

I used to visit "Hayes Metals" in Gloucester in the mid 60's. They had a contract with RAF to buy all their obsolete stuff. There was a pile of Merlin engines there bigger than a house. They could not resell so I was forced to resort to an alternative and still have some engine bits. The engines I saw were used but they had pallets of brand new spares including boxed aircraft instruments and boxes of ball races and nuts and bolts packed in solid grease. Very happy days with no health and safety and you could wander round and collect what you wanted (motor bike bits) for the weighbridge. Difficult walking out with Merlin camshafts down each leg. My friend had just passed his test and had the nerve to drive his Mum's Vauxhall Viva straight in to the scrap yard, load his boot with Merlin engine parts, and drive out again. I doubt whether the police would have been called, just a phone call to his parents, different in those days.

Im glad you enjoyed it Frank..I always remember the story of the guy who put a Spitfire Engine in a Rolls Royce Back in the 80s i think, And got clocked at over 200mph on the A1.. I might Google it, See if there was any Truth in it... Or was it, he put a 200tdi in it and was clocked at 80, Mmm! Il look it up!

That's true Higgy. It is a Rolls Royce engine and I think the apprentices at the factory did it.

Just watched that. The only problem was the Spitfire wasn’t behind! Definitely a later possibly Mk9 spitfire with the screaming supercharger. Made the radial engine of the FW sound positively agricultural by comparison.
I rather liked the ‘Towbot’ :icon-biggrin:

This will give some Nostalgia to the older members:lol: What a Sound Track! And what a sight I bet,
.... We have many Museums and memorials dedicated to these Magnificent Machines around Dover area.... Enjoy this if you got 10 mins
Loved that Higgy, thanks, I actually got to sit in a Spitfire at Hendon RAF museum, how those young men did that fighting for their lives is amazing, the cockpit is so small there is little room for movement, getting out in an emergency must have been frightening.
My dad was ground crew for Spits out in Palestine during WW2. He did do pilot training but ended up as a mechanic.
This is him, I made the frame from an inspection window of a barrage balloon.

RAF.jpg

Thats a nice Touch Chas, Love the attention to detail, Every slotted screw Carefully aligned..:thumbup:

Thats a nice Touch Chas, Love the attention to detail, Every slotted screw Carefully aligned..:thumbup:
Thank you higgy, countersunk 2BA bolts, when I was a sparky I would always align the screws on the 13A sockets I installed, I like to be neat.

A Spit was discovered south of Darwin recently.....

Flight Sergeant Colin Duncan was shot down during a Japanese air raid on Darwin. He survived though was seriously burned bailing out.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11...-of-survival-darwin-wartime-pilot-nt/11711100

Although the Spitty was a superb aircraft in Europe she met her match with the the Japanese Zero....

They found that the Zero had a lower rated altitude than the Spitfire, 16 000 feet against 21 000 feet, which delivered the Spitfire a good speed advantage at height – it was 20 knots faster at 26 000 feet. However, as had already been noted by RAF Fighter Command in Europe, the Spitfire had relatively slow acceleration, and thus the Zero was able to stay behind the Spitfire within gun range while the Spitfire gradually accelerated away out of range. Even in a dive the Spitfire still accelerated too slowly to avoid the Zero’s gunfire. Climbing away was also not an option, as the Spitfire’s climb superiority was too slight (not to mention the slow acceleration problem once again).

The only offensive solution for the Spitfire was to attack from a height advantage, to maintain a high IAS on the firing pass, to fight on the dive and zoom, and to pull high speed G. Slowing down, or being caught while flying slowly, would clearly be very dangerous, for the Spitfire would be unable to evade. Above 20 000 feet, so long as the Spitfire started with a 3-4000 feet height advantage, the Spitfire could make dive and zoom attacks with impunity.

It took a while to learn the above lessons... more on Spitfires over Darwin here....

http://darwinspitfires.com/index.php?page=spitfire-vc-versus-the-zero

The problem with the European theatre spitfires was they were very under gunned relative to the German aircraft, the .303 guns it was fitted with being nowhere near enough. I forget what the Germans had, possibly 30mm.
We were doing a pickup from Biggin hill a few weeks back and the spitfires were out. It must have been quite something to have seen all that going on over your head as a kid.

I remember people deriding the harrier because of its poor speed, but they ate their words when in the falklands it demonstrated far superior dog fighting skills when manoeuvrability counts for more than speed.

My Dad was on the South downs driving lorries in the war period. Nobody there and with .303 cartridge cases rattling down from the battle above. He came across a German fighter shot down with the boy pilot still inside. His face was ripped to pieces as it collided with the instrument panel. I should have asked him more.

I have a bit more here on the Focke wulf v Russians.....

Its been out a few years but........ its f@#king fantastic.......

I bet you watch more.....

There are more War Thunder trailers on youtube to peruse but this has to be the best.

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

Back