Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Found an LC4 But

Dont forget that when buying a long way from home, and from a dealer, any problems inside the first 6 months really need to get looked at by them first.

I have been digging around trying to find out the history of the car I was considering buying and now found out that the car is definitely to be avoided.Now I dont know if it is ok or even lawfull to give out the details/reg on a site like this so that other can avoid buying a duff un,if admin feel it is ok I can give the reg no.

Ok I have taken the plunge and bought a 2005 LC4 with 86k on the clock and full service history.I am taking delivery on Wednesday.At my request the dealer has changed the Injector washers ,three were good and one not so.Now I am reading that I should have got the Injectors replaced at the same time and that according to some Toyota/4x4 Australian forums the injectors need to be replace every 40K kilometers so about 25K miles.This is what Toyota down under are saying is correct,this seems crazy so what do you guys think.Also there appears is an issue over cracked pistons in the same 1KD-FTV engine.

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/Toyota-1KDFTV-Euro4-cracked-piston.pdf

Am I right now to worry having just shelled out my hard earned cash

Thanks

Last edited:
The standard advice I see on Pradopoint is change injectors at 120K km, so 75K miles, if you are not watching for wear via Techstream, and a sensible figure to factor in to maintenace cost estimations. Never seen 40K mentioned. I changed mine at 150K miles, but they looked pretty worn on Techstream (a couple were +/- 4.0, one was +/-5.0 on the fuel trims). I feel a lot better for having done it.

The intimation on PP is fitting perf chips seems to speed up injector wear, but it's not the only factor.

Some people seem to have no bother at all. There was a guy who used to post here who'd done more than 250K miles on the same set of injectors, no bother. Another guy here local to me bought an LC4 with about 110K miles on it, and when I hooked up Techstream the injector values were +/- 1.0, so not at all worn.

Quite a few cars seemed to get new injectors under warranty and perhaps that was one of them.

I'd get yourself a Techstream cable and software from ebay and check your injectors every 5 or 10K miles and watch for them wearing. Personally I think I'd change it they were getting close to +/- 3.0, but thats just a number I've seen quoted as a sensible limit.

Next thing I want to do is clean my EGR valve and probably fit a restrictor (blanking plate with a small hole drilled in it), which seems to be regarded as good practice.

Thanks for your reply Rob,your PP figure sound more sensible.

This was what I found from the Australian forum

"Apparently Australia has mandated changing the seals every 40k, whenever the valve clearance is supposed to be checked. Trouble is, they didn't tell anyone but their dealers, meaning people (like myself) who get an independent garage to do their servicing may or may not be aware of the new requirement if they service by the schedule in the glovebox service book"

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for your reply Rob,your PP figure sound more sensible.

This was what I found from the Australian forum

"Apparently Australia has mandated changing the seals every 40k, whenever the valve clearance is supposed to be checked. Trouble is, they didn't tell anyone but their dealers, meaning people (like myself) who get an independent garage to do their servicing may or may not be aware of the new requirement if they service by the schedule in the glovebox service book"
Most of the diesel fuel in Australia other than the premium diesel is not to EU spec for modern common rail diesel engines and is the old fashion diesel fuel which wears out the delicate injector spindles much much faster on all makes not just toyotas, EU spec diesel is much kinder to injectors hence a much longer injector life, use shell v power and the like and your injectors will last even longer by staying cleaner

Most of the diesel fuel in Australia other than the premium diesel is not to EU spec for modern common rail diesel engines and is the old fashion diesel fuel which wears out the delicate injector spindles much much faster on all makes not just toyotas, EU spec diesel is much kinder to injectors hence a much longer injector life, use shell v power and the like and your injectors will last even longer by staying cleaner
Thank you Tony ,that puts my mined at rest.I wasnt aware of the lower grade fuel in these far of regions and harm they can do.

Rob I am no mechanic so I will try to find someone locally who has the Tecstream set up and ask them to take a look at the wear on the injectors for me,thanks for the advice.

Thank you Tony ,that puts my mined at rest.I wasnt aware of the lower grade fuel in these far of regions and harm they can do.

Rob I am no mechanic so I will try to find someone locally who has the Tecstream set up and ask them to take a look at the wear on the injectors for me,thanks for the advice.

If you can install (slightly fiddly) software on a laptop, and plug a cable into a socket by the bonnet pull, you can use Techstream. If you have an old laptop running XP it's simple. Windows 7 should work fine with the new 64 bit drivers the ebay vendors seem to have these days. I've heard Windows 10 doesn't like it too much.

I have the tech stream ready to put on my windows 10. Il let you know if im successful

Rumour has it W10 will tell you there are various trojans and viruses in the 64bit software. Perhaps there are. It's been running happily on my W7 machine running (using edited 32bit dirvers) with up to date McAfee scans every day and no issue.

Thank Rob & Joe,I am running Windows 10 so it will be interesting to see just how your instalation goes Joe.It says on the Toyota-Tech.eu site that the software is a free download so I will await your experience Joe and if successful I will download and get the cable.

Back