Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fridge rebuild and retrofit

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Nice jdm fridge in the breaker, I’m having that he says.

Bit grubby and the front piece had faded.

Luckily the aircon pipe bolts came out without snapping (same can’t be said for the rear aircon unit, that’s another thread)

Tested to see if it works, obviously no gas left in the system, but the fans were on all the time. Both the “ice” and “cool” buttons were pressed and stuck down. Took the switch to bits and it was full of grit and crumbs jamming things up.
4F6D90E1-CF05-4148-BDB5-C79F390AB230.jpeg

5ADC032E-A567-4A9B-BEBC-C4179BCCBCB8.jpeg

F606FA92-070C-49BD-A27D-EF5D3D96D42D.jpeg

Contact cleaner everything, blow gun clean and dry. Painted the surround satin black. Oiled all the switches and sliding parts of buttons.

All the other plastic parts went into the dishwasher.
62974A7D-49E7-4450-992F-B36B0C72F609.jpeg

12ECEDCB-1854-46BE-A747-592836F54FF1.jpeg

Then there was the matter of repairing the horrible front part. I found a slightly close match of plastic vinyl spray in Halfords, test sprayed a part of it but I wasn’t happy with it. Almost impossible to replicate the raw grey plastic colour. So next best thing was textured Matt black spray. We use this at work to repair textured bumpers. I think it looks slightly more oem being black rather than an obvious wrong shade of grey.
9580289A-5B88-4FF4-8D12-ADB197467331.jpeg

BF2FE0CD-BB6D-4791-B560-7A846909D478.jpeg

B6803D45-9921-436D-AA52-FD770B2929F8.jpeg

It does look abit odd in bright lights but in the truck it’s not so obvious. Happy with how it came out.

Now I have to drill the hole in the floor for the pipes, mount the two brackets, and remove the original spot welded bracket for the standard centre console. The plug for it is already there.

Hey Derek nice, did a similar install a few years, Not an easy straight forward job. Still not complete as I was not given an important part of the piping / module. Look forward to how you get on.

Last edited:
Looks very acceptable and i'm fussy about such things :thumbup:

While its out use a heatgun like a magic wand to make the grey plastic look brand new again .

Looks very acceptable and i'm fussy about such things :thumbup:

While its out use a heatgun like a magic wand to make the grey plastic look brand new again .
I did try that but it don’t work on the UV damaged plastic. You could scrape a few mmm off with your finger nail it had became that brittle.
Hey Derek nice, did a similar install a few years, Not an easy straight forward job. Still not complete as I was not given an important part of the piping / module. Look forward to how you get on.
I have the complete donor. I will change over all the pipework and related parts. Only two different pipes from the compressor to the car that’s different between Petrol and diesel, and they have a bolted flange so no big deal.

And as for matt black i drove to 3 different Toolstations today looking for stock of their pro-cote which is my product of choice after much trial and error at painting the trim around radio and heater switches .

And as for matt black i drove to 3 different Toolstations today looking for stock of their pro-cote which is my product of choice after much trial and error at painting the trim around radio and heater switches .
We use a product from “Kent” called “plaz tex”. There are loads of other brands or it and I think also coloured ones.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't get me wrong it looks great as is , i just thought of you when i found it and to post means i can find it again should i need to .

I'm currently wrapping the 80's wood interior trim and those buggers who make it look easy on youtube should be shot :lol:

Finally i realized if you cut around the switches and whatnot you end up with a far tidier finish .

Hi Derek, how far have you got with your fridge installation?
I have the Petrol, and as you mentioned the pipe fittings differ ever so slightly between the diesel and Petrol.
The plug for the fridge is there and connected, BUT the compressor doesn't kick in when either of the buttons are pressed and the fridge comes on. Have you got this figured out?
And can the fridge run with out the dash AC being on and visa versa?

Hi, haven’t got much further. The underfloor pipes also go to the rear for the 3rd row seat aircon which isn’t connected so I can’t charge the system up.

The pipes from the condenser along the inner wing are fitted, have you fitted and connected the valve thing on the left inner wing? I can’t find the plug for it on my loom so I’ll just chop it off the donor and I imaging it’s just a 12v feed when the fridge is activated.

Is yours plugged in and the fan runs when you press either cool or ice?

The compressor must kick in when it’s switched on cool or ice. I doubt you’d need the dash ac switched on. Is your system charged with gas? It won’t come on if it isn’t.

Back