Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front fogs with DRL's

CANEX

Country Flag
england
Has anyone bought a set of these? :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-CRUI...t_Gen:_J10_|Cars+Type:4.7&hash=item540ce7fea9

$_57.JPG

If they have how bright are the LED's? and were they much trouble to wire up?

cheers
Chris

Are you decorating a x-mas tree?
JMHO

Nope - just trying to make people stop pulling out in front of me & make the old girl look a bit more modern!
They have sold 18 sets & I was hoping at ;east one person on this forum must have bough a set

Have been thinking about a pair myself, same reasons as you. They shouldn't be too difficult to wire up - feed to the sidelights to switch them off when the normal lights are on and then an ignition switched feed. Not sure what power the fogs are (and what make they are - CREE would be best).

That's what I was wondering Andy, how bright they are etc. I think the DRL's should go off when the headlights go on so would a relay be needed?
Sorry - what is CREE by the way?

I have seen a couple of different styles - all from China - I'm just trying to find someone who has fitted some.

cheers
Chris

Chris.

CREE are a manufacturer of LEDs that I think are pretty much the best (certainly seem the premium product). Few of the lighting manufacturers make their own LEDs instead they would be manufactured by a number of other companies, CREE being the most regarded. Yes the DRLs should go off when the headlights or sidelights go on, relay I think is normally provided with the kit.

I'm still thinking about them but had another expense come my way - Aircon compressor seized on me, just got one shipped in from the US that I need to fit. Will think about them though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
First post, so kia ora everyone :)

Am looking to put front fogs on my VX. Been meaning to do it since I bought it in 2006. Changed the original audio head unit last month, so I'm on a roll.....

Interested to hear recommendations and any tips on wiring. Would like to add another switch rather than hook it into the side light.

Chris

Chris.

CREE are a manufacturer of LEDs that I think are pretty much the best (certainly seem the premium product). Few of the lighting manufacturers make their own LEDs instead they would be manufactured by a number of other companies, CREE being the most regarded. Yes the DRLs should go off when the headlights or sidelights go on, relay I think is normally provided with the kit.

I'm still thinking about them but had another expense come my way - Aircon compressor seized on me, just got one shipped in from the US that I need to fit. Will think about them though.

I'm going to mount some round LEDs lights in the fog holes of my ARB bar. But to answer the question on the relay - there are plenty of types on Ebay - the LEDs should dim or go off when the headlights are on. Some relays also dim the LEDs when the indicator is switched on - some others rapid flash when you press the horn, and some have a get you home function - typically £10 or less.

This might be s stupid question, but......

....If I get a set of inset fogs for my front bumper and hook them up to the factory fitted wiring, will I need to do anything else to get the fogs to work? Have read elsewhere about fitting a relay etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might be s stupid question, but......

....If I get a set of inset fogs for my front bumper and hook them up to the factory fitted wiring, will I need to do anything else to get the fogs to work? Have read elsewhere about fitting a relay etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The relay being discussed is to provide added functions not found on a normal fog circuit to make DRLs road legal here in UK. I think so long as your new fogs have less power than the OE fogs you should be OK using the existing circuit - if LED fogs they don't require ballast resistors etc and just need 12v. The ones I'm fitting are 27W @ 12V - 2.5A. If you check out your wiring diagram then you should be able to see if/where your relay is and the wattage that the circuit was designed to handle: it may be different to UK spec cars potentially.

Thanks Steve. The truck has never had any fog lights fitted, but I followed your suggestion and looked up the wiring diagram. Matching that to the truck, my indicator stalk doesn't have a bezel for the fogs so I'll fit a switch on one of the blanks on the dash. Might need to fit a fog light relay behind the kick plate on the drivers side as well, but I'll know for sure once I open that panel. The other option would be a new indicator stalk, but regs in NZ require front fogs to be wired independently of the front lights, so a seperate switch might be easier (and cheaper).

If anyone is interested I've fitted some DRLs/Fogs to the ARB bar on my 100. Search on 'hedgehog' in the overland mods section for more details.

That's a great thread Steve. Enjoyed seeing all the work you've done. My truck is still more or less factory standard, but I have just started to add a few very small mods. Now I have started, I suspect it will be hard to stop :)

That's a great thread Steve. Enjoyed seeing all the work you've done. My truck is still more or less factory standard, but I have just started to add a few very small mods. Now I have started, I suspect it will be hard to stop :)

Thanks Chris - glad you like it. As you can see I have a few minor adjustments still to make (which I will post up as I do them) based on our 3 month shakedown on the road over the summer. I won't be doing much more to the 100 after that. I will then move on to my next project - a troopy camper I think

Back