Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fuel additives (chat) and other things..

G

Chris & JLJ
Tomfoolery - that's good! new philosophy of mine (have loads of these at this time of year....)

I've got three bottles of the stuff (300 ml, in a purple containers) haven't (obviously) used them yet....thing is I have 170 ltr tank and I can also squeeze near on 100 ltrs into my 90 ltr tank - I think dilution would make an impression worse than nothing...
>>> [Email address removed] 12/21/04 11:57am >>>
My experience with additives in the past with previous diesels has been that the money you spend on additive (perhaps =A33 in a tankful) is paid back in improved fuel economy; however that does not seem to have been the case with my LC. Possible reasons:
(1) It's too dilute to do any good in a 90l tank, and I need to spend more to save more. (Bad time of year for that theory.) ???
(2) My injectors are already so perfectly clean that no improvement is possible. (Bad theory at any time.) ....!!!!
(3) The fuel consumption is so dependent on usage patterns that this masks any saving. (=A33 is < 5% of a tankful, and my mpg varies by more than that.) so what's your fuel economy like then, for a younger Beast than mine?
The biggest disadvantage is that I tend to stop at pump, fill car to brim, walk in to pay, spot additive on shelf, read label which says "add first so that it mixes", think "oh shit, I filled it to the brim, I'll remember next time", pay basic fuel bill ....well yes, this could be the problem...
... then repeat the next time. If someone could invent a button on the pump saying "Press here for additive injection" they would make a fortune! I'm full of foresight - than it becomes hindsight, then I forget...
Renate, without Le Beast (again)

Renate
(1) It's too dilute to do any good in a 90l tank, and I need to spend more to save more. (Bad time of year for that theory.) ???
You've got a daughter - surely you know that Christmas + children =3D money??
(2) My injectors are already so perfectly clean that no improvement is possible. (Bad theory at any time.) ....!!!!
Speaks for itself I think
(3) The fuel consumption is so dependent on usage patterns that this masks any saving. (=A33 is < 5% of a tankful, and my mpg varies by more than that.) so what's your fuel economy like then, for a younger Beast than mine?
Average 28 - 29mpg, best ever 31mpg, worst (non-towing) about 27. Bear in mind I have the 24 valve cylinder head.
Slight digression: I had to replace my front number-plate again this w/e. We had a spot of rain, and the water-splash at the bottom of our road rose a bit. Coming back from "The Incredibles" with the children on saturday night (well worth seeing) they said "go on Daddy, drive through it", so I did,
Well, the lights went out. Or at least I thought they had, but in fact the water was very muddy and it came up over the headlights totally obscuring the light from them. And I washed off my front numberplate. Its replacement is now held on by 2 grade 8.8 steel bolts, instead of those stupid plastic bolt thingies. I defy those to break!
While in the shop getting a new plate (for which you now need log-book, driving licence + further id) a 1992 TLC rolled up. So I got talking to the owner, who said he had just had his engine rebuilt - =A33200. (New "engine" from Toyota apparently =A34000, but I presume this is just the block, head and pistons.) The big end on No 2 piston had failed, and it turned out that the head was cracked as were three pistons. It had done 140k miles.
He was totally unmechanical to the point of not being able to change his wiper blades, so I didn't get very far in taking the machine's clinical history, but it must have been a 1HD-T. He had it maintained according to the schedule, as had the previous owner.
One thing he did say that interested me was that it was powerful and accelerated well. Not how I'd describe mine, so I suspect that the previous owner had the pump tweaked. Unscientific, but something to think about for those proposing tweakings....
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT

Chris
Did I say that? well, I must have been mad....actually, I'm now a single again and have been asked to spend Christmas day with her and dad - I'd rather be out there living it up with my mates....anyway, she IS 17, and she still loves her mum...

Perfick clean injectors? Barhumbug!
>>> [Email address removed] 12/21/04 12:30pm >>>
Renate
You've got a daughter - surely you know that Christmas + children =3D money??
Speaks for itself I think
Average 28 - 29mpg, best ever 31mpg, worst (non-towing) about 27. Bear in mind I have the 24 valve cylinder head.
alright for some...

Slight digression: I had to replace my front number-plate again this w/e. We had a spot of rain, and the water-splash at the bottom of our road rose a bit. Coming back from "The Incredibles" with the children on saturday night (well worth seeing) they said "go on Daddy, drive through it", so I did,
Bet they twist you around their little fingers....

Well, the lights went out. Or at least I thought they had, but in fact the water was very muddy and it came up over the headlights totally obscuring the light from them. And I washed off my front numberplate. Its replacement is now held on by 2 grade 8.8 steel bolts, instead of those stupid plastic bolt thingies. I defy those to break!
Take it on the Plain, and bang! they'd be gone...

While in the shop getting a new plate (for which you now need log-book, driving licence + further id) a 1992 TLC rolled up. So I got talking to the owner, who said he had just had his engine rebuilt - =A33200. (New "engine" from Toyota apparently =A34000, but I presume this is just the block, head and pistons.) The big end on No 2 piston had failed, and it turned out that the head was cracked as were three pistons. It had done 140k miles.
Don't say things like that!! I'll get moochy and terrified with worry - again - I'm trying to give it up for New Year...

He was totally unmechanical to the point of not being able to change his wiper blades, so I didn't get very far in taking the machine's clinical history, but it must have been a 1HD-T. He had it maintained according to the schedule, as had the previous owner.
Please! do not torture me any more!!!
Seriously, don't go there!!! (I've got enough on my plate without thinking Le Beast needs a complete new engine....)

One thing he did say that interested me was that it was powerful and accelerated well. Not how I'd describe mine, so I suspect that the previous owner had the pump tweaked. Unscientific, but something to think about for those proposing tweakings....

Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT

Hi Christopher,
On Salisbury Plain I was one of the only people not to loose a number
plate in the 'puddles'.
I have used double sided sticky pads for number plates, using about two
in each corner and then two to three in the middle - worth considering,
it stops the water getting behind the plate and breaking it.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift, ARB

Julian
The plate doesn't break, it just comes off & disappears completely - I once recovered it intact downstream. But I know the sticky pads you mean, and that's a good idea which has to help, so I'll try adding some. Thanks Julian.
For those interested in the history of my LC number-plate-related saga:
Plate #1 (with which car came) was held on with sticky pads, and was lost in that ford
Plate #2 (lost a different ford) was held on with plastic bolts
Plate #3 (lost in original ford) was held on with ditto, with the addition of glued on steel nuts
Plate #4 (fitted yesterday) is bloody well held on with grade 8.8 bolts and locking nuts!
I don't think that Pavlov would consider me to be an ideal subject.
Ho hum, back to work.
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT

Hi Christopher
One thing at the end of your post interested me more than the rest and it was this..
One thing he did say that interested me was that it was powerful and accelerated well. Not how I'd describe mine, so I suspect that the previous owner had the pump tweaked. Unscientific, but something to think about for those proposing tweakings
I had mine rebuilt as you are all sick of hearing me say by now and the power is hugh, the acceleration is excellent. In fact a lot of the people who tail gate me on the major road I use to Dublin doing 50mph which leads into a motor way get a surprise when I pull away from them and they can only catch me after I stop accelerating at 70 or 80mph. Is lack of power and accceleration a problem with you guys. Also I agree with you about going into water on the road its a pain in the -------. I have been nearly totally blinded by dirty water spray hitting the windscreen as it does. This is especially a problem on the back roads where you find more surface water and the road is narrower, with always a car coming from the other direction the same time as you hit the water and are blinded. Could some one explain why the water reaches so high up to the windscreen. I never had this problem with any cars and they are lower to the ground, so you would think the higher you are the less water hits you.
John c
92HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
John,
You may conceder putting temporary mud flaps of some sort in front of the
front wheels I think this is why some rally cars are so equipped, it
deflects the spray down and to the side. I think that they have them at a
slight angle.
Anthony Graham
HDJ80 HD - T
West Wales
UK
_____
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On
Behalf Of john byrne
Sent: 21 December 2004 14:03
To: [Email address removed]
Subject: Re: [ELCO] fuel additives (chat) and other things..
Hi Christopher
One thing at the end of your post interested me more than the rest and it
was this..
One thing he did say that interested me was that it was powerful and
accelerated well. Not how I'd describe mine, so I suspect that the previous
owner had the pump tweaked. Unscientific, but something to think about for
those proposing tweakings
I had mine rebuilt as you are all sick of hearing me say by now and the
power is hugh, the acceleration is excellent. In fact a lot of the people
who tail gate me on the major road I use to Dublin doing 50mph which leads
into a motor way get a surprise when I pull away from them and they can only
catch me after I stop accelerating at 70 or 80mph. Is lack of power and
accceleration a problem with you guys. Also I agree with you about going
into water on the road its a pain in the -------. I have been nearly totally
blinded by dirty water spray hitting the windscreen as it does. This is
especially a problem on the back roads where you find more surface water and
the road is narrower, with always a car coming from the other direction the
same time as you hit the water and are blinded. Could some one explain why
the water reaches so high up to the windscreen. I never had this problem
with any cars and they are lower to the ground, so you would think the
higher you are the less water hits you.
John c
92HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland

john
You have obviously picked up on my inference that, perhaps, a high performance 1HD-T engine = a short-lived one - at least on the original bearing shells. Bear in mind that I was relaying a subjective comment from a non-technical person, and drawing an arguable conclusion from it, but I would still be wary about tuning that engine if I was aiming for longetivity.
My machine is a complete slug under 1800rpm, and above that I'd describe it as acceptable, but no more than that. Maybe that's why I get more mpg than you do! I know the later (95 - 97) engines were tuned very much to meet emissions rather than performance criteria.
Regarding the water thrown up, I asked this question too a couple of months ago as Devon, like Ireland, can be a tad wetter than some other places, and I dread big puddles on roads at night as I get blinded by a wall of water at anything over 20mph. I think it's simply due to wide tyres + a high front clearance.
Apparently in Australia people fit "mud" flaps in front of the wheel to prevent small stones from being thrown up in the same way, and perhaps something like that fitted under the front bumper would help here for water. But it would look mighty stupid! Maybe a different tread pattern would help a bit by throwing water sideways more than forwards, but I doubt it.
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi Christopher
>
> One thing at the end of your post interested me more than the rest and it was this..
>
>

Hi Christopher
Me again, I have no intentions of doing any thing to my engine, Im totally happy with it once it keeps going. It was just interesting to hear that some body else does not seem to get what I would consider very good performance with my cruiser. I take it for granted that it should be like this after all it has a big engine, or would it have something to do with the complete rebuild it had. I certainly dont know. Most of the time I would drive it gentle because you should never rush a good thing, but then I also like as most others do a good spin where you can open it up. I have had to ease down at times on the motor way because it just seems to be able to keep going a long way past the 80mph with out any problem at all,.
Is this not usual for the 80s come on guys tell me. It could actually be that I have found some thing positive in my cruiser at last. Na couldnt be could it na. Some body stop my stupid idea in its tracks please.
Christopher what miles are you getting, I know i am getting 6 miles to the litre which works out at 27 to the gallon. Years ago I had a 1980 Carina 1.6 petrol and only managed to get 20 miles to the gallon. I had a Camry 2.2 petrol and it did about 22 miles to the gallon, so im impressed with this cruiser considering its a 4.2 litre and its weight is about 3.5 tons.
John c
92 HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 2:59 PM
john
You have obviously picked up on my inference that, perhaps, a high performance 1HD-T engine =3D a short-lived one - at least on the original bearing shells. Bear in mind that I was relaying a subjective comment from a non-technical person, and drawing an arguable conclusion from it, but I would still be wary about tuning that engine if I was aiming for longetivity.
My machine is a complete slug under 1800rpm, and above that I'd describe it as acceptable, but no more than that. Maybe that's why I get more mpg than you do! I know the later (95 - 97) engines were tuned very much to meet emissions rather than performance criteria.

Regarding the water thrown up, I asked this question too a couple of months ago as Devon, like Ireland, can be a tad wetter than some other places, and I dread big puddles on roads at night as I get blinded by a wall of water at anything over 20mph. I think it's simply due to wide tyres + a high front clearance.
Apparently in Australia people fit "mud" flaps in front of the wheel to prevent small stones from being thrown up in the same way, and perhaps something like that fitted under the front bumper would help here for water. But it would look mighty stupid! Maybe a different tread pattern would help a bit by throwing water sideways more than forwards, but I doubt it.
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT

Hi Christopher
One thing at the end of your post interested me more than the rest and it was this..
One thing he did say that interested me was that it was powerful and accelerated well. Not how I'd describe mine, so I suspect that the previous owner had the pump tweaked. Unscientific, but something to think about for those proposing tweakings I had mine rebuilt as you are all sick of hearing me say by now and the power is hugh, the acceleration is excellent. In fact a lot of the people who tail gate me on the major road I use to Dublin doing 50mph which leads into a motor way get a surprise when I pull away from them and they can only catch me after I stop accelerating at 70 or 80mph. Is lack of power and accceleration a problem with you guys. Also I agree with you about going into water on the road its a pain in the -------. I have been nearly totally blinded by dirty water spray hitting the windscreen as it does. This is especially a problem on the back roads where you find more surface water and the road is narrower, with always a car coming from the other direction the same time as you hit the water and are blinded. Could some one explain why the water reaches so high up to the windscreen. I never had this problem with any cars and they are lower to the ground, so you would think the higher you are the less water hits you. John c92HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland

John
Oh mine accelerates all right at speed - it keeps on going to well over 100, but I haven't discovered how much more. It just doesn't accelerate that fast (in my view). In fact the acceleration in 5th at 80mph is probably better than ditto at 50mph.
My mpg averages 28 - 29: worse for short journeys/winter; better in summer and for longer journeys. Best ever 31 mpg.
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT

Christopher,
My Cruiser had what I felt was just adequate performance when I first had
it, it appeared to just gain speed but I felt it was not right. Kick down
was also slow. If I talked to any one they just said what do you expect and
basically did not take my remarks with any seriousness. I investigated my
self and discovered 2 thing the first was that there was an appreciable
amount of slack in the
Accelerator cable and 2 the throttle or kick down cable was also out of
adjustment. I adjusted both cables and did not expect much difference but
in fact the difference was outstanding. Acceleration was immediate as well
as a much higher available speed and kick down instant even kicking down 2
gears at once. It would never rev to the red line before, no were near it
but now if I keep the accelerator pressed down all the way it will rev out
in each gear.
I was amazed that such a simple non technical series of adjustment could
prove so effective
Anthony Graham
HDJ80 1HD - T
West Wales
UK
-----Original Message-----
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On
Behalf Of Christopher Bell
Sent: 21 December 2004 17:07
John
Oh mine accelerates all right at speed - it keeps on going to well over 100,
but I haven't discovered how much more. It just doesn't accelerate that fast
(in my view). In fact the acceleration in 5th at 80mph is probably better
than ditto at 50mph.
My mpg averages 28 - 29: worse for short journeys/winter; better in summer
and for longer journeys. Best ever 31 mpg.
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT

Anthony
Thanks for the suggestion. Just one problem - mine's a manual!
I suspect the auto holds lower gears longer than I do, which will give better acceleration. Also the ratio of 4th in the manual box is strange: it's about 2/3rds of the way between 3rd & 5th, not half way as you'd expect. Annoying in normal driving, but dead useful when towing - maybe that's why it's like that.
Christopher Bell

Back