Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel consumption

theboocrew

What is a realistic fuel consumption figure for a 120 diesel (round town mostly) I'm guessing better than my Colorado with a 1KZTE. What should I look out for before buying? chears in advance.

About 25-28mpg? Best was about 32IIRC not normal was around 28/29 with motorway driving.
It's late and my brain might be shot :|

Crispin is just about spot on.

When my brother tows his big caravan with his diesel 120, he gets about 21 - 22 mpg.
He has a Hobby, weighing circa 1900kg.

Gra.

Just checked the consumption on LPG for my Lexus, 15.5mpg, exactly the same as on petrol :confusion-confused:

I agree - 25-28 mpg long term average. I've sometimes done 30+mpg on a trip but that's only when the traffic has been heavy and I've been doing about 60mph fairly constantly.

Towing the caravan I get about 20mpg, but I do tend to press on a bit.

What to look for when buying?

The most important thing is that there isn't any blowby past the injectors. The best way to be sure is to find out whether its been in on the recent customer campaign (1613G) to get them checked and if necessary replaced.

What happens is that the copper seals at the base of the injectors gradually go hard and a small amount of the combustion gases can seep past and ends up in the oil. This contaminates the oil pickup filter and leads to oil starvation.

The toyota fix is to swap the copper seals to aluminium. But as part of the campaign they look to see whether there is any evidence of blowby on the seals - if there is then they investigate further. This affects many of the toyota diesels, not just landcruisers and toyota have been paying for new engines where it has become an advanced problem.

The rear suspension sensors can go on LC5/invincibles [part of the reason I chose an LC4].

APart from that, pretty bulletproof.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers chaps! I will have to start looking seriously now. I hate looking for cars :(

theboocrew said:
Cheers chaps! I will have to start looking seriously now. I hate looking for cars :(

Wish I was in te hunt for a LC120 again :thumbup: . The XC90 has it's plus points (fuel economy being a big one) but I'd have a 120 again without a moment's hestitation. Don't rule out a LC5. The suspension sensor thing is not that big a deal and on the plus side you get a few nice toys and a pretty good DVD based sat nav system. The sound system is tops too with a big chunky amp under the passenger seat. If you can get a '07+ model you'll be in the clear of most, if not all, of the known issues that affected some people.

With all my mods I get about 21mpg when pooling around town on short trips with a cold engine / drivetrain. Gets quite a big better on a long run.

Have a look on the forum for the moans and groans on the 120 - injector seals as noted above, I've had one ride-height sensor problem related to the previous owner I suspect, some a/c issues (I'm alone there) and sticky front brake callipers, for which there's an upgrade kit. Otherwise solid stuff. Bit plasticky in terms of exterior trim, but that's the same for all vehicles these days - and the 120 plastic does seem pretty substantial :lol: put it this way - the tree bent and the plastic looked the same afterwards!

25-28mpg sounds about right for me too. Works out to a safe 400 miles to a tank (without the light coming on and sucking up the rough stuff)

Same for me, about 25 -28 around town and like Gra's Bro about 21-22 pulling 2 x ton of a Hobby tin shed....

not too impressed with mine,im getting no more than 20mpg and that is taking it easy,the fuel light came on and i put another £20 in it and ran till the light came on again,,,58miles on the trip.i paid 148.9 per ltr.

Hi Geo.

When you say "not to impressed getting 20 mpg, " is that when you are towing?

Gra.

not too impressed with mine,im getting no more than 20mpg and that is taking it easy,the fuel light came on and i put another £20 in it and ran till the light came on again,,,58miles on the trip.i paid 148.9 per ltr.

are you still running the 22" wheels as this will not help the mpg.

Joe

Any one running a v6 petrol? I have looked at one on lpg, what should I expect 1 on petrol 2 on lpg. With the cost of diesel is it worth giving a petrol one a try?

I have a LPG 120, Dave. It gives about 17 or 18mpg on LPG and about 20 on petrol. So, with LPG being about 70p a litre, it gives the equivalent of 35mpg. Plus you get a nice, smooth 4 litre V6 to boot. I recommend it.

The only problem is range (260 miles per tank) although I have been right across Europe in it and no problems (other than in Denmark where there is virtually no LPG).

Hi, I've got the diesel 120 lc5 and I get between 450 and 500 miles on a tank. This is both town and open road driving. I changed the "standard issue" dunflops to general at2's sometime back. I found the dunlops wore far too quickly( esspecially on the outer side of tread) but gave a much better mileage return, 500 miles plus. AT2's have got 40k on them and plenty tread left, but a slight drop in mileage return/tank.

Solid, near bullet proof vehicles.

Crispin is just about spot on.

When my brother tows his big caravan with his diesel 120, he gets about 21 - 22 mpg.
He has a Hobby, weighing circa 1900kg.

Gra.
I was going to edit but i will add to it instead,

My solo motorway cruising is about 60mph to 65 mph.
This gives me very close to 30 m.p.g. with my oversize tyres.
I would say in standard size tyres, inflated to about 35 p.s.i. instead of the Toyota recommendation of just 29 p.s.i.
Will easily see you into 33 m.p.g. at similar speeds.

Gra.

Back