Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel consumption

At what speeds do you get that? For town driving I get about 300 miles, and only if I do motorway driving can I just about get 400. I normally sit at about 75 on motorways

Not motorway driving. Mostly around town (or should that be country) at relatively modest speeds mixed in with some regular longer A road trips of 30 miles or so.

So similar to our town driving. So must really be a heavy right foot then :icon-cry:

Just back from a ski run to the French alps in my new (to me) 2004 LC5 auto with 87,000 miles. Used 3 tankfuls but only 2 where I had totally steady speed on the autoroutes, the middle tank included lots of cold (-10 degrees) starts and trips up and down the hill. :icon-biggrin:

On the way down I was being a bit pushy - had the cruise control locked on 84mph, which incidentally resulted in exactly 80mph (only had one toll booth during that tank, so I think this probably means around 81mph whilst actually cruising). I got 22.8mpg. On the return journey we had an easy target Eurotunnel so set the cruise at 78mph, which resulted in 75mph actual on the road (again, one toll booth) and I got 25.6mpg. In both cases, brim-to-brim top-ups and dead-steady speeds - gotta love payage autoroutes at night! At the time I was a little disappointed with these figures as I had hoped for a bit more - I get around 21-22mpg out of my 80 VX on longer journeys in Zambia at around 70-75mph and thought the LC5 with the D-4D would be a bigger improvement. It seems not!

Load: 4 adults plus ski kit, but no roof-box or skis up there. I did also raise the tyre pressures to 32psi.

Hope folks find this a useful first post!

Marcus

Last edited:
Just back from a ski run to the French alps in my new (to me) 2004 LC5 auto with 87,000 miles. Used 3 tankfuls but only 2 where I had totally steady speed on the autoroutes, the middle tank included lots of cold (-10 degrees) starts and trips up and down the hill. :icon-biggrin:

On the way down I was being a bit pushy - had the cruise control locked on 84mph, which incidentally resulted in exactly 80mph (only had one toll booth during that tank, so I think this probably means around 81mph whilst actually cruising). I got 22.8mpg. On the return journey we had an easy target Eurotunnel so set the cruise at 78mph, which resulted in 75mph actual on the road (again, one toll booth) and I got 25.6mpg. In both cases, brim-to-brim top-ups and dead-steady speeds - gotta love payage autoroutes at night! At the time I was a little disappointed with these figures as I had hoped for a bit more - I get around 21-22mpg out of my 80 VX on longer journeys in Zambia at around 70-75mph and thought the LC5 with the D-4D would be a bigger improvement. It seems not!

Load: 4 adults plus ski kit, but no roof-box or skis up there. I did also raise the tyre pressures to 32psi.

Hope folks find this a useful first post!

Marcus

Interesting. Comparable with my recent run down to Cavalaire. I noticed the same inaccuracies with the speedo compared to the Sat Nav too. Made me feel a bit safer from plod when running at a Cruiser indicated 90mph at times. :icon-biggrin:

am averaging at about 27mpg on mixed runs, bit of motorway, bit of main & back road, some very short journeys.

Tipped just over 30mpg twice on longer runs into the UK, mainly motorways (75-90mph) with main roads in between. That was running fully loaded with about 35psi, a roofbox and 3 bikes hanging off the towbar.

have a friend who fills out of the same fuel system, his milage is higher with a bit more trailer work. He averages about 25mpg. Both are manuals. I tend to keep it below 2,000rpm except for 1st and 6th gear.

I found going to 265/70x17 tyres reduced the speedo mis-read to almost nothing.

I haven't done the fancy LC5 GPS re-calibration yet - might do that on the weekend. Don't think it makes a lot if difference unless I'm in poor satellite reception areas for a long time, when it use speed and wheel revs to calculate position...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes Gary, going to 265 x 70 x R17 brings the speedo to pretty much spot on.
Did lose some mpg when going to the taller tyres though, but the rewards far outweigh in my opinion.

Gra.

you'll find that while the speedo is always out, the odometer reading will be just about spot on relative to a gps on standard tyres.

I get 28/29 mpg out of a tank, steady driving and a lindop box on low. towing my 1600kg hobby caravan it's 22/23!

Back