Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel filter

Beaujangles7

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all, following a recent service my Land Cruiser Colorado 2001 3.0D4D would start but the cut out and would be reluctant to restart. I researched around this and found that air was probably being drawn into the fuel system somehow. So I thought I'd buy a new fuel filter (even though what I had was new) and fit hoping to clear any opportunity for the air situation. Fitted with no trouble however the problem was still there. So I ordered a new primer pump from Roughtrax and tried to fit, but I couldn't remove the heater from the old unit so re-assembled and booked the car into a garage.

After that I had a bad fuel leak all over the road; when depressing the button on the pump I could see diesel squirting beneath the assembly. So I stripped it all down and re-assembled once again. Still had a leak. Stripped again, cleaned all surfaces and carefully re-assembled which improved the leak but it's still there.

Can someone let me know if this is probably caused by the 'o' ring at the bottom of the unit please?

Thanks

Does your filter have a water trap and tap at the bottom? Is it possible it was overtightened or the O ring didn't seat properly?

I don't know about the 90 but I think the one on the 120 is pretty fragile...

Does your filter have a water trap and tap at the bottom? Is it possible it was overtightened or the O ring didn't seat properly?

I don't know about the 90 but I think the one on the 120 is pretty fragile...
Hi Karl,

Thanks for your message. Mine doesn't have a water trap and tap but I think your comment about the 'o' ring maybe correct. From the last time I re-assembled it I cleaned all surfaces and gently screwed everything back together trying to make sure that faces met correctly, particularly for the 'o' ring seal. This seems to have done the trick as it is not leaking right now, thank God. It's in the garage tomorrow to get the new primer pump fitted so hopefully from then on it should be fine. Thanks again.

A bit late on this one, but on assembling screw on stuff like that with an O ring, oil filters etc, a smear of lubrication ( oil, vaseline, diesel) helps.
On tightening, there is lubrication between the O ring surfaces, rather than dry, which can grip, bunch or distort the O ring.

A bit late on this one, but on assembling screw on stuff like that with an O ring, oil filters etc, a smear of lubrication ( oil, vaseline, diesel) helps.
On tightening, there is lubrication between the O ring surfaces, rather than dry, which can grip, bunch or distort the O ring.
Hi Tractionman, thanks for your message and of course you are correct. Unfortunately I was assembling in one mad rush without all the necessary materials to hand and just trying to do the best job I could with what I had but I completely agree regarding the lubrication, it won't happen again :text-thankyouyello:

A quick update, some good and some not so good news. It appears that when I replaced the fuel filter and priming pump I did everything correct. What I didn't realise was that there was a split in the fuel pipe below the pump. Why the hell that came at the time that it did I have no idea. Anyway it is done now and everything is fine at last.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back