Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel Tank Breather

fridayman

Garage
Does anyone know what the setup is for the fuel tank breather on a 95? I want to fit a complete breather kit (diffs, gearbox, trf case & fuel tank) but not sure how the tank breather is setup and what fittings would be needed to run a tube to the breather manifold.

Hi,

Does this help :thumbup:

img894.jpg

I think the breather is part No. 77259C - it vents the tank back into the filler pipe (called "Hose, Fuel" in the parts list :roll: ).

Bob.

That confirms my suspicions then. The tank breather is a piece of hose that attatches to a solid tube that runs up the side of the filler pipe. Does anybody know the external diameter of the breather pipe ir internal diameter of the rubber hose?

Ecoman said:
I want to fit a complete breather kit (diffs, gearbox, trf case & fuel tank) but not sure how the tank breather is setup and what fittings would be needed to run a tube to the breather manifold.
Ecoman said:
Does anybody know the external diameter of the breather pipe ir internal diameter of the rubber hose?
I think it´s 12 mm. But what is the idea to put all of breathers together? :? The tank breather have to be closed one, the ventilation is through the fuel tank cap. You can not mix axle breathers and tank breather. :hand:

The idea is to run the two diff breathers to a t-piece (or possibly separate) and then to the manifold in the engine bay. And the gearbox and transfer case to a t-piece (or again, possibly separate) and up to the manifold. And then a separate fuel hose straight to the manifold too. The manifold will then have a single hose running up into the snorkel. Will this be a problem? Why do you say not to mix the fuel and axle breathers?

fridayman said:
Why do you say not to mix the fuel and axle breathers?
The tank ventilation have to be closed, it´s not allowed to leak to ground when the car is upside down.

I think you are not driving that deep (the fuel filler cap lever) so long that something could get in the tank.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello Bob -that's a informative photo you have put on and it is helpful. I make my own fuel of very good quality but it's stickier than diesel and I wonder if the narrow pipe that vents the tank has become clogged. Air locking when starting to fill fuel seems to happen intermittently but I'll have to get that plate /cover off to see the pipes that enter the tank. I once replaced a fuel tank on a early Toyota before the new shape (ours is a J95 LWB D4D......) I hope I can get at the connections to the breather without removing the tank? I would not look forward to having to remove the tank!
Have you had to clear the breather /tube on one yet? What sort of a job am I in for. I've got a pit and realise the rear wheel has to come off and that cover to see the pipes. Best Wishes Mick Hall (engineer)

Mick,

That's a ten-year-old post (and I struggle to remember what I did yesterday); however I took photos . . .

I haven't had the breather clog up, but the fuel pick-up (sock filter) certainly needed changing and I had a rust hole in the fuel suction pipe.

I replaced the fuel filler pipe (with its attached breather) and some of the tank fittings.

These pics may explain things:-

DSCN5967.JPG

DSCN5975.JPG

DSCN5996.JPG

DSCN6000.JPG

Not the greatest collection of pics but I hope they help.

Bob.

You are the most helpful person Thank you. It may well be that smaller rubber hose that goes onto the spiggot coming from the tank boss with it's fill connection. My Biodiesel fuel plays havoc with anything other than viton. Any other rubber swells up especially nitrile. It's has 60 .000 miles on the stuff and at the beginning my fuel was not as pure as it is now. There's probably a bit of gunge in the small pipe but it could have spoilt the rubber. We did 40.000 on diesel till the price went sky high so I got my act together and saw what some were doing so joined em. I'm sincerely grateful to you to see there is no valve of any kind in that vent pipe assembly. It gives me a hint that it may well have to be changed for viton I'll see what the condition of that pipe is. S.A.P. -----Thank you so much.

Back