Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Full Airbag Suspension

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Ok, given the current suspension topics here, I thought it a good time to air my long term suspension plans.

I am considering fitting air bags from Air Bag Man in Australia. Reason being they can be adjusted to cater for the varied loads I carry, should give a better ride on road, and can be adjusted up when necessary off road to give extra ground clearance. Also with all my approx 300 kg usual payload of tools on board, the OE springs are letting it ride on the bump stops which cannot be good.

Pros as I see it:- better ride(?), load adjustability, height adjustment. Twin wall bag giving resilience, purpose designed drop in replacements for the 80. Good articulation ability(?)

Cons as I see it:- susceptibility to damage, greater complexity, cost(?), safety(?)

I would plan to install the bags and possibly get a spare of each type front and rear and initially fit them with static pressure and ideally OE shocks (as I've just got a new pair on the back). I would then look at upgrading to a full auto system so that all the good bits could be utilised (adjustment mainly).

These would be full replacement rather than helper bags.

Any thoughts? Anyone done this?

Richard

I replaced the OEM Airbag suspension on my 120 with AirBagMan kit and it was faultless. Absolutely brilliant guys to deal with, and supplied excellent kit that never let me down ;)

Recommended suppliers as far as I'm concerned.

Great to hear Gary. Did you go for any intelligent control or just change the bags?

No the 120 controlled it all on its own (the LC5 comes with air suspension at the back) so just used their bags and hoses and fittings etc.

Ok. I've had a few dealings with Australian companies and found them so far to be extremely helpful and excellent. I'm quite looking forward to this project now. Being able to level the old girl would be nice.

Ok, given the current suspension topics here, I thought it a good time to air my long term suspension plans.

I am considering fitting air bags from Air Bag Man in Australia. Reason being they can be adjusted to cater for the varied loads I carry, should give a better ride on road, and can be adjusted up when necessary off road to give extra ground clearance. Also with all my approx 300 kg usual payload of tools on board, the OE springs are letting it ride on the bump stops which cannot be good.

Pros as I see it:- better ride(?), load adjustability, height adjustment. Twin wall bag giving resilience, purpose designed drop in replacements for the 80. Good articulation ability(?)

Cons as I see it:- susceptibility to damage, greater complexity, cost(?), safety(?)

I would plan to install the bags and possibly get a spare of each type front and rear and initially fit them with static pressure and ideally OE shocks (as I've just got a new pair on the back). I would then look at upgrading to a full auto system so that all the good bits could be utilised (adjustment mainly).

These would be full replacement rather than helper bags.

Any thoughts? Anyone done this?

Richard
did you do it? I have a 2010 cruiser troopie and hate the rough stiff on road ride.Pic Perth

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
did you do it? I have a 2010 cruiser troopie and hate the rough stiff on road ride.Pic Perth
Ahh, no I didn't. I'll say not yet but in truth I probably won't. It's around £1500 to do the whole package and would I'm sure be great but I just couldn't justify the spend and have only recently, last weekend in fact, changed out my springs as a member on here was selling some. Airbag Man did the bags and I was looking at the full height control package from I think Air Lift but you could just change the springs for bags without the control.

Next week I have a TD5 coming in to get rid of the air bags and fit 'normal' springs. The only reason is he lives up a rough track, so off road if you like multiple times a week. He has gone through his second set of bags in four years, the compressor is also getting tired, so the spring choice seems a no brainer for his kind of use.

regards

Dave

I think helper bags are the best. The springs still operate normally under light or medium load but the bags take much of the weight when you're heavy. I don't have them on the 80 but I do have them on my ute. I have a Ford Falcon 1 tonne ute with a twin hydraulic ram tipper to which I have added air bags from The Airbag Man. I can now put a tonne of sand in it without the leaf springs going down in the mouth. The ute stays level and the steering feels normal. They're a good bit of kit.
IMG_0693_resized.jpg

That's a useful looking truck there Yawood. I think you are right about the helpers for load carrying. My reasoning though was a bit different.

I use my truck for work. It has around 200kg of tools in the back, most of the time, that I lift out so weight carrying is an issue. However my thoughts were also to be able to lower the truck to a suitable height (about where it has been is a reasonable compromise) to easily remove small items from the back (and be easy on my back!). I also wanted it to be well mannered at speed but capable of lifting up to give off road clearance.

That was the original thought but lack of funding and a bit of (possibly unfounded) concern over reliability of such a complex system has made me go the coil spring replacement route. That and having some second hand springs come up at the right sort of weight and height for the right money. :)

It is a useful truck. I'm not a tradie but it's great for loads of garden soil etc. I love the look on peoples faces when I pull up at the tip beside someone who's been dragging their rubbish out of a trailer for half an hour and I just back up and press the button!

It is a useful truck. I'm not a tradie but it's great for loads of garden soil etc. I love the look on peoples faces when I pull up at the tip beside someone who's been dragging their rubbish out of a trailer for half an hour and I just back up and press the button!
That would be great over here too except we would get charged to tip it as trade waste and need a licence to carry waste. Oh the red tape!!

...and a bit of (possibly unfounded) concern over reliability of such a complex system

I agree about the complexity. I've known a few people with the earlier Range Rover Vogues that had the full air suspension who have ditched it and replaced it with the spring set-up from the cheaper model. One of them drove home from a trip with the truck just sitting on the stops. It was a pretty uncomfortable ride and he couldn't wait to replace it with the springs.

It's always good when you find what you want for a second-hand price. :)

Back