Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Full floater rear end!

ONEBADFJ40

Country Flag
armenia
Would love to find A fj40 Full floater rear end for my 78 fj40 if anyone knows where i could find one. As far as i know here in the states none of them had the option for it.:cry:

Ok will do thanks alot didnt know they made a full floater kit thought i would have to get a whole new housing and everything

Ok will do thanks alot didnt know they made a full floater kit thought i would have to get a whole new housing and everything

It'll be an import axle, most probably from the middle east or Australia. Haven't had much to do with them but they are possibly the biggest name for the 40 series in the states. . They'll have all you need!!..

Like the US the UK dont get the full floating unit on leaf sprung .. 40's 55's 60's etc..

But a real leaf sprung cruiser truely deserves a full floating rear axle. . Its the first thing I look for on leaf sprung cruiser! Im a vintage cruiser freak at heart! Love them!:icon-cool:

Yea I saw that after doing some research on it that they are imported. I was looking on there site and says they are out of stock. Dont understand why we didnt get the full floating unit its kind of frustrating HAHA:think: I totally agree with you on the fact they deserve it! I hoping they had a kit to where i could just convert mine to a floater or at least a c-clip eliminator kit like they sell for the Ford 8.8 rear end in the states! I dont think it would be difficult to do if they did have a kit.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge and my inevitable incorrect use of accepted terminology, but what distinguishes a rigid axle as being "fully floating" or otherwise?

I have a standard 80 series configuration, which obviously has the top and bottom arms which position the axle front-to-rear and serve to reduce rotation of the axle, and of course, the panhard rod that positions the axle side-to-side. Is this known as a 5 link arrangement? I can count to 5, but maybe I'm counting the wrong things!

In presuming that this arrangement is not fully floating, what change would be necessary for it to qualify? Is it replacing the panhard rod with angled top arms, which would bring the count down to 4 link?

Then, an "A" bar centre-mounted on the top of the diff casing would reduce the count further to 3 link, am I on the right path here?

If yes, then at what stage (4 link or 3 link) would it qualify as fully floating?

If no, then please help my understanding... :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think fully floating or not is referring to the hubs not the control arms etc on the back axle. On a full floater you can remove the drive shaft independent of the hub attachment meaning you can use the vehicle with the drive shaft removed if you needed to which is the case on full float 80 series axles (e.g. UK models). I haven't seen an 80 non full float in detail (e.g. Jap import) but on all 100's the hub and bearings are mounted onto the drive shaft so if you remove the drive shaft from the axle the hub comes with it and you can't use the vehicle without the drive shaft mounted.

When I say "full floater" I mean being able to pull the axle out of the axle housing with out pulling the wheel off or touch the hub on the housing It self. imagesUC08LJMU.jpg The Axle Shaft it self actually bolts to the hub assembly on the axle housing. There for not having to remove the inspection cover on the back of the pumpkin and remove c-clips to pull axle out. Plus full floater is stronger in the sense that you wont have to worry about a c-clip breaking and axle coming out while driving.

OK, that helps me at least, I was obviously barking up completely the wrong tree :lol: :doh:

No problem! I figured pictures sometimes explain better then words.

I'm glad there are no pictures of what I thought a "full floater" was. Clive you were closer than me!

If you want to go the full hog on a 40, then you install 80 series suspension on a 40 series full floater axles and add disc brakes?

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

So, for my uninformed benefit, is this referred to as a "four-link" configuration, being 2 top and 2 bottom links between axle and chassis?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I'm trying to educate myself... :? :lol:

So, for my uninformed benefit, is this referred to as a "four-link" configuration, being 2 top and 2 bottom links between axle and chassis?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I'm trying to educate myself... :? :lol:

Yes, same setup as a 80 series, here is the front axle, again 40 series axle with 80 series parts?

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

If you want to go the full hog on a 40, then you install 80 series suspension on a 40 series full floater axles and add disc brakes?

View attachment 17444

View attachment 17445

View attachment 17446

View attachment 17447

Nah for what I do I prefer leaf springs and I don't think I would be able to get the flex and travel that I have with a 4-link coil set up. And all in all the leaf springs are more durable in my opinion less to go wrong. Coils arent as good in the rocks either they bounce leaf spring stay planted and climb easier.

Nice jeep sticker on your windshield by the way there watrob!

Last edited:
Yeah, my son-in-law put that on, he has a current model 4 door Jeep Sport Wrangler, had to snatch him out as he bogged the jeep to the chassis rails the other weekend on the beach?

I don't go off road other than 100% beach work so I am looking for a smooth soft ride.

Have started the next build, the only difference this time will be an Auto transmission I think?

Back