Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FZJ 80 not starting

Jamie_t

Country Flag
australia
hi guys, I just replaced the head on my cruiser as the head gasket had let go on the number 1 cylinder. I had a machine shop re do my head. I have reinstalled everything as per factory manual and tonight went to crank it over and she didn't start. The starter kicked in, everything sounded right yet no fire. Tested spark plugs and had great spark. Disconnected fuel return line and fuel was there. Checked what I could see of all the connections and all look good. Vacuum hoses went back as previous.
I am stuck! Not sure what to check.
Anyone got any clues?
Are there any tricks?
Appreciate help,
Thanks guys

Welcome to the forum, please do introduce yourself to us in the new members area and tell us about your truck and if you have any plans for it, we like that kind of thing ;)

Re your problem I was a diesel mech in my youth but here goes.

Is the firing order correct?
If you have compression, fuel and spark it should run, if however the spark is on the exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke you will have issues, same if the timing is out.
I would suggest double checking everything ignition related.
Does your engine have a distributor? I don't know if it does so the below may not be relevant as the only petrol engines I have experience with had one, this new ecu, sensors and coil pack is something I have never dealt with.
For example turn the engine over by hand until the mechanical timing marks indicate No1 piston is at TDC for ignition and then check the ht lead for No1 piston is correct.

Last edited:
Hey man, thanks for reply. I have not checked compression and will do so. Yes it does have. Distributor. I bought a new distributor cap and rotor for it. I will look into firing order. When it is top dead centre on crank rotor is set for number 1 lead to cylinder. That much I have checked. Everything went back together well so was stumped. I hooked vacuum hoses back up, they went back well but are in a ridiculous spot as they are hard to get too. Tomorrow will do compression test and see how that goes.

Your engine can be on TDC number 1 but NOT on the firing or combustion stroke, did you check for this?

regards

Dave

Your engine can be on TDC number 1 but NOT on the firing or combustion stroke, did you check for this?

regards

Dave

Good point Dave, should have thought to mention valve timing as well.

Yes piston should be at top with both valves closed. The next 360 degree revolution of the crank the piston will be at top with both valves open. The rotor should point at number 1 lead with both valves closed on number 1 cylinder. The distributor only turns one revolution for every two revolutions of the crankshaft so you may have set the distributor shaft 180 degrees out. I've made this mistake several times over the years. It's the most common cause of a 4 stroke engine not starting on reassembly.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back