Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FZJ80 Body moldings saught

mattid

Country Flag
south_africa
Greetings all

I'm a complete newbie and fresh to this forum, so consider this post to be dual purpose; to introduce myself and to seek some help in finding some bits.

I'm Matt, living in sunny Cape Town and a recent adopter of a good running but fairly beat-up 1993 FZJ80. I think the car started life in Aus before being "grey-imported" into SA. She has about 380,000km on the clock and has not had a particularly easy previous life. I believe she was well looked after mechanically but the previous owner wasn’t concerned with cosmetics, so her body work wasn’t pretty.

I found her a year ago, bought her on a whim and now, for some indiscretions in a prior life, I’ve decided to restore her.

So far the restoration has gone really well and, to be honest, Toyota South Africa have been a fantastic source with a seemingly endless range of original parts - quite surprising really, given the age of the vehicle. I have, however hit a little snag with body moldings (stock pic attached for reference). The four long door sections are still available from Toyota SA but the four shorter fender moldings have been discontinued (not even avaiable out of Japan). I see on eBay that there are plenty of options out of China but I’d really like to try and stick with originals for this part of the work, so I’m reaching out to see if anyone has ideas on where I can locate an complete unused, original set.

And also just to clarify, the vehicle HAS fender flares attached, I believe there are two versions of these molding; with or without flares.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Matt

Attachments

• e09cbe7a-32e7-408f-9513-9c9757a24338.png
    e09cbe7a-32e7-408f-9513-9c9757a24338.png
    585.8 KB · Views: 13
HI and welcome.

When we had the bodywork restored on our 80 we just deleted those moldings completely and had the holes welded over - looks much cleaner than stock. Just a thought...

There's a guy called Nayab Akbar on FB seems to be doing the business with Land Cruiser parts. Not cheap and has to import them but his items are like new/ rust free. Many people on there have used him with glowing recommendations.
I hav'nt used him personally yet but I can see me doing in the future.

Hey Guys, thanks for the prompt replies.
Dave_S, I've thought about leaving them off, but actually quite like the look of them on, so need to try...
AndycruiserguyLomas, thanks for the info, I'll check him out...

Hey Jon_Tallis

Excellent tip, thank you very much indeed, I was not aware of megazip.

Have placed an order, so will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks once again...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pleasure Matt - I use megazip regularly either for parts that my main dealer can't get (Like yours they are extremely helpful). Their prices are often better than toyota UK, even with import charges etc taken into account. They've never let me down yet so I'm sure you wont be disappointed

I've been using a company called Amayama.com for many hard to find 80 bits.
So far they've stocked everything i needed, including the super hard to find front L&R wiper arms and the rear tailgate upper door handle!
They seem to be a Japanese outfit, but locate the parts across several countries and ship to you pretty rapidly.

Hey everyone

A quick note to let you all know that my moldings arrived today from megazip. Parts were easily avaiable and reasonably priced, although shipping was spretty steep. That being said, I'm very happy!

Thanks for all of the responses and the info!

Stay well.

Cheers

Matt

Back