Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Garmin gpsmap 60CX buying advice please

JimmyLJ71

I have been offered a garmin gpsmap 60cx colour second hand.

i am due to go on an Overland Holiday to Morocco soon, been on a few now and have been keeping an eye out for a GPS system, would this be suitable?

It has world maps loaded into it, looks like they are road maps would i need any other maps and how would i get them ?

How much would i expect to pay for the GPS?

Re: Garmin gpsmap 60CX

I have the 60CSX and used it throughout Botswana trip with tracks for africa and it was great. Screen is a bit small if you are by yourself but I wasn't. You should see if the guy will throw in Mapsource with it [the PC software that allows you to play around with routes etc]. Have a look in the Morocco section on this site as there are a number of map recommendations like Olaf's maps [which i think is free].
I guess the price is how much you want to pay - check out ebay for an idea.

It actually does come with mapsource , the guy wants £150, seems like a good deal. How do i download the maps ?

£150 is a good price if it is in good condition as a new one used to be almost double that. For routes http://www.morocco-overland.com/routes/index.htm which can be downloaded [I'd recommend the book too]. I've not downloaded Olaf's but somebody will be along who has. To get them on the 60cx you simply download the maps into mapsource, connect the unit via usb and transfer them across [it should have a microSD card in it]. If you get into any bother google it and you'll find plenty of resources. Search on this site on "morocco, too" - plenty of good info here.

I also have a 60csx and as Simon says, it's a great piece of kit, albeit the screen is a bit small. I used mine with T4A to do Morocco a couple of years ago and it was spot on, finding tracks that weren't on any maps and very accurate.

I also use it on the bike and it is great , providing you don't want spoken turn by turn directions. It is also one of the few Garmin GPS's that you can download routes that you have pre planned and created on a PC/Mac; most of the newer generation Garmins no longer have that facility.

Another good site for Morocco info and general stuff is HERE This site is owned by a member on here BAT 21

Back