Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Garmin Mapping products on universal carputer setup

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi all

With help from Matt (24seven), TonyP and JohnW I have now completed my Garmin carputer setup and have a repeatable process that anyone can follow (even me! :cool: ). I thought I'd outline the high level options for anyone wanting to start this type of project without getting in to too much detail.. The detail can follow..

There are quite a few options wrt the type of computer you choose and the map products you go for, each with it's pros and cons, so I've summarised below and am happy to answer any questions which will lead to me documenting the various options in detail as time permits. Each list is ranked according to cost with the highest cost at the top. As always!?, the most ££ has the most functionality and options.. :| That said, I have built all of the options below at minimal cost so don't be put off, ask before you stick with your traditional GPS :)

** There is a FULL set of Garmin maps available for MAC Users too ** :twisted:

Carputer / Hardware:
- Micro PC like Tony's in the prev thread with a touchscreen
- Toughbook laptop
- Small "normal" laptop

Maps / Software:
- Garmin based maps and Garmin Mobile PC
Does show the car moving / tracking
Great user interface
Allows routes/waypoints/tracks to be created and uploaded to the unit
Best of both worlds IMHO

- Garmin based maps and MapSource
Does not show the "car moving / tracking" like a GPS does
Allows routes/waypoints/tracks to be created and uploaded to the unit
Great for long trips where advanced planning is required, used in conjunction with a traditional Garmin GPS unit for actual navigation whilst driving

- Memory Map solution
Only UK based maps really given the cost of other maps
Very detailed maps, especially good for laning
Others on the forum use this so they're the experts on this :ugeek:

I have built all of the above options so I'll leave it at this for now and see what interests everyone before adding more.. I will add photos of the various options soon..
Thank you to everyone who has helped me with my trials and experiments :geek:

Matt - i was looking at using a recently acquired handheld Garmin 60CSX connected to a touch-sreen that meets the US military Mil-STD-810 standard. I got the Garmin so i could also walk with it. I'm interested in what software I need to drive the touch-screen. I was assuming I'd be able to connect the Garmin to the screen and go for it, without the need for Garmin Mobile PC [which only seems to be for europe?]. i'd have T4A maps on the Garmin. I have Mapsource but not what you say about tracking. I'm trying to work out if Garmin Mobile PC is needed in this set-up.

My m8 Giles runs a small laptop with a Garmin GPS of some sort for all the hardware side but he runs a Map source call 'Fugawi' I think it stands for 'Where the F... are we' :lol: The whole of the UK (4 regions is only £200 & each region only £50) it works really well all mapping is OS 1:50000 maps and when combined with the GPS it sticks a cursor right on the map @ your location :thumbup:

http://www.fugawi.com/web/index-in.htm

http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/fuga ... aps_v2.htm

I've just noticed that they are now also doing world maps :thumbup:

I'm glad you got it sorted out Matt.

Don't rule out nRoute, yes it's only 2D navigation but it allows the user to turn off some of the functions that are a pain when on trails, example "snap to roads" and "auto routing" This maybe what makes the Garmin 276c so popular.

Another example when using the route’able Garmin Topo Morocco map not all of the tracks shown are route’able so regardless of modes set in a dump GPS, it will keep and only route on the way around a trail, in other words you cannot navigate way point to way point.

Also a dumb gps (I’m talking nearly all of the Tom-Tom style Garmins) will not accept a non route’able route transferred to them.

@ SimonD

That will not work, you will need a computer to run the screen, but your garmin will provide the GPS signal and being a garmin will work straight out the box with nRoute and mapsource, your T4A maps will be loaded into the PC as well as the 60CSX. As far as I know you cannot drive a screen off a 60CSX or any Garmin GPS for that matter.

I should have been clearer. I was looking at a tablet like Paul's here . It is the required software that is confusing me a bit. I got a free UK Topo with the Garmin 60CSX i got off ebay.

Yes as Matt said :) Beat me to it..

Thanks for the other tips again Matt - every bit helps.. Also, you've been TO Morocco and actually used it in the bush, well, desert :)
Will have a play with nRoute this weekend..
My shiny new Asus Revo gets here tomorrow so will get cracking on that standard build cause it's a clean slate :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back