Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gearbox oil

Great Outdoors

Country Flag
ireland
Hi all,
Just a quick question as I don't have a manual or handbook for my 1998 LC, it's a KZJ 95 model (LWB) with manual gearbox - as the gearbox is due for oil change what is the correct oil to use ? I'm trying to get all the bits and bobs for my mechanic before the weekend
Any other oils I should change at this stage?
(I change the oil, fuel & air filter etc. myself)
Thanks.

my 1998 LC, it's a KZJ 95 model (LWB) with manual gearbox - what is the correct oil to use ?

I use 'EP 80W90', or straight EP90, in the Axles, Gearbox and Transfer Box.

I just bought one of these . . . .

http://www.smithandallan.com/produc...4377-oil-safe-3-litre-drum-with-utility-pump/

Quite expensive, but its well made and is a proper oil pump - not an air pump that pressurises the container as in a Garden Sprayer.

It will be a lot quicker and cleaner than fiddling about with 1/2 litre squeezy bottles :thumbup:.

Bob.

I have the 3.4 gasoline one. The manual says 80w-90 GL-5 in the axles and 75w-90 GL-4 or GL-5 in transfer and gearbox.

Don't forget to grease the driveshaft joints while the plastic covers are off.
Front and back.

Is it a Prado? If so, it may have a limited slip rear diff, so you need to put in the right diff oil - the one with additive for lsd (doh!).

I put it in both diffs so I only need one can of oil, but the front diff will be ok with normal non-additive.

If its a Colorado, ignore me, its almost a full moon......

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is it a Prado? If so, it may have a limited slip rear diff, so you need to put in the right diff oil - the one with additive for lsd (doh!).

I put it in both diffs so I only need one can of oil, but the front diff will be ok with normal non-additive.

If its a Colorado, ignore me, its almost a full moon......

Pete

They aren't usually badged as either here, there are UK imports and Japanese imports but the Irish market 90 series were just called Landcruiser and didn't come with either locking or LSD as standard.

Hi all,I'm wanting to change my rear diff oil on my lc 3td 95series automatic but a bit confused,what's the difference to ep80/90 gl5 mineral and ep80/90 gl4 please as they is some good offers on the gl4.
Thanks Shaun.

hello shaun. American Petroleum Institute always quote Gear Lubricant index numbers. in agricultural terms, where you can have massive loads in gear boxes, GL numbers are quoted for the terms of lubrication needs in pressurised applications. to cut a long story short, it wont make any difference at all in your LC. ive just put GL4 in all mine yesterday. the higher the GL factor the higher pressure it can be used under. if you have a £250,000 tractor 400hp+ pulling 12 furrow ploughs for 18+ hours a day , 7 days a week for four months solid then GL factors tend to be important. cheers, Andy.

I'd say the same about the rear diff Sag, if its a jap import you may need the lsd additive lubricant.

RoI seems to have got a basic spec drivetrain with nothing in the diff at all ?

hello shaun. American Petroleum Institute always quote Gear Lubricant index numbers. in agricultural terms, where you can have massive loads in gear boxes, GL numbers are quoted for the terms of lubrication needs in pressurised applications. to cut a long story short, it wont make any difference at all in your LC. ive just put GL4 in all mine yesterday. the higher the GL factor the higher pressure it can be used under. if you have a £250,000 tractor 400hp+ pulling 12 furrow ploughs for 18+ hours a day , 7 days a week for four months solid then GL factors tend to be important. cheers, Andy.

GL-5 can react with some bronze parts in gearboxes, if the spec is GL4 not GL-4/GL5 it can mean that the gearbox has bronze parts that don't like GL-5 Oil.

I'd say the same about the rear diff Sag, if its a jap import you may need the lsd additive lubricant.

RoI seems to have got a basic spec drivetrain with nothing in the diff at all ?

Locking rear diff was an option not standard fitment.
No harm really as the vast majority never seem to get used and then seize up.

Back