Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Glow plugs

michael

Hello I`ve just ordered some new glow plugs as I checked mine after poor starting and 2 are kna--ered my question is one of them the very tip was missing would this have burnt off or snapped ? and if snapped do you have any tips for fishing it out ?
Many thanks Mick

I would guess it's burnt out I cant see you having put enough force on the end to snap it... I would sanity check everything by turning the engine over by hand if you can first, perhaps magnetize (not sure if that is a word) a long thin screw driver and gently in and out the hole just on the off chance, but my money would be on it having burnt out....

Dave

michael said:
On one of them the very tip was missing would this have burnt off or snapped ?

Was there a clean break, or just a burnt end ??

If there was an obvious break, the missing bit has probably gone out of the exhaust by now.

The glow plugs screw into the pre-combustion chamber, which I think has a steel seating, so a magnet is unlikely to fish it out (if its still in there).

Bob.

Thanks for the replys
It was as though it had clean broken but the end was black with soot (if thats the word ) so must have been gone a while I think, I`m slowly going through a list of replacements and renewals we`ve only had it about a couple of month.

I agree - Long gone

Although worth a try with a magnet - even if its on a steel plate it 'could' still pick it up - the steel it's potentially on wont have any 'stick' to it at all a magnet will pick a small bit of steel off a large bit

Stroke a screwdriver with a good magnet for a while then see

The Appliance of Sciene :)

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Out of interest, are you replacing with genuine Glow PLugs or patent ones? I got a price for Toyota ones some time back and they were an absolute rip off...

Dave

Hello Dave I`ve just replaced them with some off th e bay and all went well no problems apart from me being frozen and terrible back ache leaning over started up on the button but will wait to give it the thumbs up until tomorrow mornings start up.
ps the ones I got were just shy of £40 I think with 12 months warranty, I`ll wait to see how they go ,I know that some will say you get what you pay for but I cant justify the toyota prices.

Back