Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Glue to fix wing mirror glass

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
Apologies in advance for posting this in the "lounge" and upsetting your happy hour.....but I would really appreciate a rapid response please.... :thumbup:

Just went out to do some last minute shopping before we go on our camping hols on Wednesday......went over a small speed bump in Tesco car park and.........passenger side wing mirror glass fell out! :o :(

The glass is fine as I was going slowly and it just dangled down by the heated mirror wires and I quickly taped it back in place with some insulating tape I had in the car.

I noticed that the mirror's base is supposed to be fixed to the mounting by 4 lugs - 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. The top ones must have snapped off at some point (not me!), the bottom ones seem fine. In the middle of the mounting, there is some white glue? - it hasn't dried hard but is still soft/tacky. It was the 2 bottom lugs and this white tack that was holding the glass in place all these years! :shock:

The white "glue" seems to be meant to hold the glass quite firmly but not make a permanent bond. Does anyone know what this stuff is?

I'd like to sort this out tomorrow before we go....and as usual, my procrastination has lead me to have 101 other (non-LC) things to sort out tomorrow too!! :roll:

As always, thanks in advance. :thumbup:

No idea what the white glue is however this is what I would do. Clean off all the old glue with brake cleaner and then use Araldite 2021. Sets in few minutes and sticks anything to most plastics. That is how most people do it where I work during lunchtime ;) You could try a generic 2 part epoxy as well if you can't find any 2021.

Thanks Chas - yes I did consider using a "super glue" and making a permanent fix but the problem then is that ever the heating elements or motor etc. pack up you have to break the glass and/or mirror mount to resolve.

Ideally, I'd like a semi-permanent solution - one that holds the mirror firmly enough for day-to-day use (it has the 2 lugs for added stability) but where I could remove it if necessary too.

Cheers

EDIT: Thanks Rob - just seen you reply.

H'mmm .....should I go for a permanent fix - am I worrying about this too much! :?

Yup silicon acetate would be a good non permanent solution, although it may take a while to set.

If you never want the 2 to come apart I would also suggest Wurth bond and seal. It is really evil stuff, takes 24hrs at set though...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ordinary glazing silicone will cure in an hour easily this time of year.

Why not use some Araldite Rapid to stick a couple of strips of Velcro on the glass and the mounting plate :D

Double-sided "Sticky Fixers" :?:

They hold well and the glass could be prised out if necessary.

Bob.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. :thumbup:

Those pics in that thread really helped Steven - thanks.

lcmirror2.jpg

Out of the 6 hooks/lugs in the above pic, I've only got the 2 at the very bottom left on my glass back. and a large blob of glue in the middle cut-out section. I thought the glue was OEM!! :? :oops:

I'm surprised it didn't come off sooner...... :shock:

I think I'll try some silicone sealant stuff as suggested, that should allowme to remove the glass without breaking it if necessary.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Back