Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Good multi meter

warrenpfo

Can anyone recommend a good Multi meter to use in the home and on the car please? I am not rocket scientist and am not planning on building the next rocket ship but would like what ever it is I get to last and do a good job.

Think I have had my fluke multimeter for 20 yrs now, still going strong.

pretty open question. If you want basic functions like measuring voltage, current less than 10A etc, you can pick up one for under £5. When it breaks, you can turf it. I have one as a spare which cost around £3 from CPC. Does what it says on the tin. Maplin do Precision Gold range of which I have had one for about 20 years and it's still working fine. You can get one for about £40-50.

Can't go wrong with Fluke either.

I have a couple of Draper multimeters. One in the car tool kit and one in the garage. Both are about 10 years old and they work a treat. I use them for home and motoring applications and get treated rough. They were about £15 each and I can't complain about either of them.

Fluke are without doubt the best you can buy and like 24/7 min has lasted for near on 20 years.

For general, not bothered if it gets damaged, I have a Maplin UNI-T UT30B. Surprisingly robust (been dropped a few times) and
all the functions needed for most car and home type jobs.
This is the one I carry in the car most of the time and has been rattled about in the boot for quite a while now.

Unlike my Fluke the UNI-T can't be switched on by accident so doesn't eat batteries.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=46498

Thanks I have a friend who works as an instrument technician and think he once said he can get access to Fluke gear but it never meant anything to me then. Will ask him.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
24Seven said:
Think I have had my fluke multimeter for 20 yrs now, still going strong.
Fluke , every time.

70 series,

Graham

I don't know what a fluke costs but for what you are looking for Warren, get down to your local Aldi or Lidl - I think mine was less than 3 quid... Treat yourself to a couple... They even come with batteries!!! :cool:

Fluke's are great multimeters, but if you are not interested in high accuracy then I question the expense of one. I've got a Maplins £20 version and it has served me well.....

Gav Peter said:
I don't know what a fluke costs but for what you are looking for Warren, get down to your local Aldi or Lidl - I think mine was less than 3 quid... Treat yourself to a couple... They even come with batteries!!! :cool:
Or Maplin if they're running a buy one get one free on their cheap ones again :thumbup: You don't need anything better than that to check your voltages and the odd coil resistance on a car.

Same here :) Fluke that is :D But then I would say that as I'm a Tiffy by trade :)

But to be honest the meter I use the most cause it's always to hand is the cheap £7 one I bought from off the bay last year as I needed one that could measure temperature when I did the ATF flush on my V70 :D It now lives permanently in my Cruiser Fiery always to hand :thumbup: And if it gets covered in mud I'll wipe it off & if it busts I'll bin it & buy another :D

This is the one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

P6050205.jpg

I have a fluke on its way to me, not sure of the model yet but all it needs is a new battery/ies and its good to go. Not sure if its able to measure temp or not but that would seem a useful function. I think i will still go and get a £5 ponuder to keep in the car.

Thanks all for your input.

too many funny numbers and shapes on those things for me - had one, the instructions were in chinglish and I blew up the fuse box :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let ALL the magic smoke out :shifty: and I had to get a special person to put some more back again - man, that stuff is expensive :doh:

What advantage does an analog meter have over digital? I had both at one stage and there was something nicer about the needle swinging but that is all I could see. From a professional PoV, who are they still made and sold?

Back