Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Good starter but runs rough and a bit smoky until warm

Ok, latest update for those of you who haven't lost interest. Cruiser has been at my local Toyota main dealer to have the injectors coded. It was in for two hours and they told me that my vehicle doesn't require the injectors coding which is what others have told me but now I have heard it from the horses mouth.

My investigations continue to find what makes the noise..........
Mines a march 2004 1kd-FTV since my earlier post I've tried versions of techstream from v8 to v16 and with my vxdiag vx nano and cheap vci mini and in every version utilities shows no option for injector compensation codes.
I have spoken to my local Toyota dealer the weekend and he says they are not required on my older model , late 2004 onwards they are.
Maybe it's due to a software update that mine never had, or a change in ecu type.
As stated before mines nearly 17 years old with 134000 miles and I know the origional owner and injectors have never been replaced and my feed back values are max + - 1.4 so happy with that

Very interesting that, still don't understand it though. I wonder why it took 2 hours to tell you that though ? At least you can cross that one off the 'problem' list

Well I have to take their word for it and move on. There is a clue in the fact that the noise on my engine quietens down considerably when it comes upto temperature.......................just I don't know what that clue is telling me.....

Yep, it's 'official' now then. Mine has done much the same since I got it 2yrs ago, a bit clattery on cold start up summer or winter, then quietens some. It seems a common feature on these d4d engines, a bit agricultural. My old 78 is quiet in comparison.

Quick update to this, I have found out after reading the 120 service manual that my local Toyota dealer and others I've spoken to were correct regarding the compensation codes.
120,s before August 2004 use the older ecu which operates on mobd not euro obd as post August 2004 models do, this is stated in the manual.
Only post August 2004 models with the later eobd ecu require injector compensation codes to be added on replacement, this is in the manual under revision for post 08/2004
This would explain why techstream would only recognise my 120 and automatically show its details when the country was set to japan.
Also later models with compensation codes have max injector feedback value +- 3
Earlier models without compensation codes have max injector feedback value +- 5.

Thanks for that info Screwdriver. On that point, progress is not neccessarily better.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a new plan, it's called soundproofing! Mines a manual and there should, according to the Toyota mech I spoke to be a dose of soundproofing around the top of the gearbox. There's nothing there at all . It's not a noisy vehicle at all but it was the first thing the mech noticed. Doubt I will find the correct part so I will improvise.

Agree Pete, loads of heavy metal so you cant hear the bangs and squeaks

Back